Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes and front shackle questions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, May 16, 2002.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Hey all. 2 totally unassociated questions.

#1 - Does anyone have a problem when it rains with their brakes...like not being able to stop?!!! I guess about 6-8 months ago i did my axle swapins - 14ff and dana44 - and rebuilt these two from the ground up, so i know the shoes/pads are good. There are no dust shields on the D44 because they were rusted, but i cant see how the water saturates the brakes so much that doesn't allow me to stop. Then again, what else could be happening? Guess that's why i'm posing this question /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

#2 - The front rides super stiff. I have 4" rancho springs up front. not by choice, but that's what was "given" to me, so i used them. I've done everything - bushings, removed sway bar, new/different shocks even took out the 2 bottom leafs of the 5 and used something like a 0rate block up front - and it all helped SLIGHTLY. Still stiff as heck. I noticed that the shackles are angled slightly forward when the truck is just sitting. Is this correct? I would think they'd be slightly angled back so when the axle is flexed, they would kick back a little further and actually do so work. It seems as they sit now, they dont do anything. Thinking this may be why she rides so hard. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate it.

- Jersey

2. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

Nope your shackle is in the right position. that way it has lots of travel for when you really compress the springs. the brake thing. i would look at getting some dust sheilds. and maybe checking your rotors to see if they are glazed. if they are then take'm and get them machined and you should be fine.

3. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

thanks Vince. I happen to see a K5 in the home depot parking lot tonight and it was lifted also. I stopped and checked the shackle positions out and they were both leaning back. looks like he, or she, had basically the same setup - 4" lift, 5 leafs per pack. Maybe his springs were just wooped? Also, my stock spings measure longer eye to eye also. I double checked rancho's site and i do have the right springs. weird. I'm not sure that even if the rotors were glazed, how that would only effect me when it's wet out. otherwise, they stop on a dime. Could you explain more why you think this may be it? Also, what happens on the cars that have like the three spoked rims on them and the calipers are completely exposed? I would think they would get just as wet as mine without the dustshields and have the same problem.? hmmm..

Thanks again - Jersey

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If your shackles are angled forward then your truck has to lift up to go over center. That would make it ride rougher.

5. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

not sure what you mean. Should the shackles, in your opinion, be tilted slightly back in a resting position?

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Its that whole center of gravity issue. When you move from the center of the spring pack, it takes more effort to compress the spring. (Leverage I believe). Because of the additional leverage needed (also known as the weight of the truck on the top of the spring), it rides harsher.