Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes and Rotors!

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by Jeremy_C, May 19, 2002.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I need brakes and front rotors for my 78 Chevy truck 4x4. 6 Lug wheels. I thought i'd check an see if anybody had some they bought, an never put on. Get'em alittle cheaper ;-)

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have all that stuff!!

What do you need as for the rotors? Bare rotors or bearing hubs and rotors?

3. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'll be dang, i didn't figure ANYBODY would answer this one, espically this quick. lol.

I reckon i just need the rotor, i've not looked at it closly, but i do need the brakes and i will need the rotor, i'm not sure about anything else. What kind of deal would ya make on it?

4. thatK30guy

So, you need two calipers and one bare rotor?

If so, I won't guarantee the calipers, but if you want, you can either try them out and see if they work good or use them as cores for rebuilt ones at your local parts store. Rebuilt calipers with the old ones as cores can run an average of $15 apiece.

If you need two calipers and one bare rotor, how's $45 for all that stuff?

5. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Do you have any brake pads??? I've never messed with a brake job before. And my truck needs brakes in the worst way, i can hear it rubbing metal when i hit the brakes. I figure i need pads, and front rotors. What do you think?

6. thatK30guy

Pads are cheap stuff. You can get new ones at the local parts store for around $12 to do the front.

If you can hear the metal to metal noise from the braking, I would check all those out first before spending the dough on hard parts.

Chances are, you may only need to get new pads and possibly turn the rotors down if they are worn with grooves from the pad rivets.

This method would be cheaper and easier than buying a bunch of other parts you may not need. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

UGH! I just scraped two almost new rotors.. Figured it would be more to ship them to someone then buy them new. Oh well, sorry.
    Mike

8. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Usually what does it cost to get a brake job done? I'm probably looking at brake pads all the way around, and front rotors, its grinding metal BAD, it roars an shimmies evertime you stop. Just a ball park figure is what i'm lookin for. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It usually cost about $10-12 bucks a piece to get rotors turned. Add that to the cost of new pads and your probably lookin at around $40 or so.