Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes/backing-up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Jun 7, 2002.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 with anti-lock brakes, the problem is when I back down the boat ramp to launch my boat. If I have it in 2WD the front brakes will lock up and start skidding doen the ramp. When I put into 4WD I have no problems. Any Ideas?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think you have 4 wheel anti-lock (4WAL). I am sure it is rear wheel anti-lock (RWAL). Asside from that anti-lock doesn't work at low speeds. Also the prop. valve is in there to keep more line pressure on the front brakes. That and the fact that you are backing down a ramp (weight shifting to the rear) and have the weight of the boat on the rear there is almost no weight on the front tires. When you put it in 4wd you lock the front wheels to the rear wheels so for the front breaks to lock up the rear must as well. In other words...everything is working the way it is suposed to. Just do it in 4wd or let the front wheels slide.