Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes( brands/type) suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Aug 9, 2001.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I am needing new pads and shoes for some axles I am gettin ready to ship out and install on my K5. What can you guys recomend for me? So far I have been using raybestos Prostop semi-metallic.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Something Lifetime! :)

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

There really aint a "lifetime" warranty here any more. They ONLY warrant against defect not wear like they used to.

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'm using the Titanium ones, that I got from JCW. like $20something for a set. They seem to work well, but defintely pricey.
    Boss
    ps, you trying to sell me that 203 or what?

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Raybestos is by far the best IMO and they do have a lifetime warranty. When my pads wear out get a new set and throw the old ones in the box! They are the only calipers I have used w/out problems as well. Master cylinders and wheel cylinders are a little spendy through them so I use wagner there usually.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have Raybestos "Brute Stop" on both of my trucks (they only make pads though). The work well (in the case of my s-10 too well) and don't wear out rotors like the rest of the Raybestos lineup. However they are around $30 a set but with the lifetime they are the last set you will ever buy.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yup go with raybestos pads i likem alot. i had put on some pads from autozone and they SUCKED (the life time warrenty one)they sqeecked and pulled to the right. so me beening a dumb ass put a set on my sanoma and they did the same exact thing. so me realizing these pads SUCK went and bought new raydestos pads, and they rock .

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Raybestos...or your Napa brand...same thing [​IMG]
    Those are the best.

My experiance though, I got the top line that were the most metallic and I couldn't get them to quit making noise, so I dropped to the middle line and no complaints!

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have not had any squeeking from my Brute Stops (except when the squeelers hit at 10,000 mi)

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I know this is not a vary popular opinion, but;
    I've reline thousands of brake pads and shoes. (I'm not kidding!) I cringe every time I have to put on A.M. front pads, end up mariied the the friggin' things for the next 3 months (for free, I might add) Beacause the majority of the A.M. pads pull, squeal, wear-out, eat-rotors, and genneraly reack havoc on braking sys.. Basicly,
    I hate 'em with a passion!

G.M. pads (O.E.) not only cure most of these problems, they also come with new bushings, sleves and silicone lubricant. I will admit, they seem to wear-out a bit quicker and they ARE pricey! Genneraly twice the cost of A.M. pads. In my opinion, well worth it. (I even convinced our used car manager of that! -not an easy task). They also have a warranty- ask about it!

Think about this;
    5000 lbs truck with 75-95% of the stoping force is applied by the front brakes, do you really want all that weight stopping on a set of $40 brake pads?

A.M. rear shoes are O.K., I have no problem relineing rear brakes w/A.M. shoes. I've seen very few problems w/A.M. rear shoes, chances are, they'll get soaked w/gear lube before they become a problem. So, why not save a few bills w/a set of cheep shoes out-back. (the fact that they only see 25% of the braking force has allot to due with it, too).

It's all about opinions, and this is mine. I'm not ripping into anyone for anything! (It's a shame I have to include that, in EVERY reply!)

<font color=red>Twiztid</font color=red>

11. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

raybestos, wagner, bendix,EIS, napa, carquest,etc. all the brake pad and shoe boxes say limited lifetime warranty on defects in material and workmanship. Most of the manufacters have started to enforce this policy to the letter. Talk about making people made when you cant warranty them for wear like you used to. Cant blame them though.
    Get the premiums though, you will notice a difference in braking compared to the cheap stuff.