Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes...cant get rear lines to stop leaking!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Apr 25, 2007.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ok on the top of the diff cover. theres the main line which goes into the junction box i guess. one of the 2lines that go to the axle are leaking.

i CANNNOT get them to seal! ive tried tighteing all of the lines. and short of actually pulling them off, i cant seem to get them right

any suggestions? maybe pull them off clean everything up REAL good and flare them out again?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah, sounds like either a bad flare, bad seat or just different kinds of flares on the two.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree. there is only a few things that could be wrong. unhook everything and check the flare and seat. could be rusty or have a groove in it.

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Damn, I wish I had that problem. I can't get any brake fluid back to my rear brakes.:o

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like either a bad master or a bad combo valve. Possibly a steel line rusted shut or the rubber hose degraded to the point where it's plugged itself up.

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Cracked fitting or cracked hardline.

7. broncoman6524

welpi started messin with it today...on the drives line. it leaks between teh flare and fitting. if that makse sense so when its installed it leaks around the hardline NOT the fitting. so im off to the parts store to get a new line adn poss the t-fitting block thing.

i cleaned it, sanded the flare, blew out the line/block. cleaned EVERYthing with brake cleaner, wrapped the fitting with teflon tape. all with no avail. hope this works...

8. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I had that problem, I cranked the fitting down and it stopped, but still having alot of problems with my back brakes, have fluid, but they will not build pressure at all. I'm about to just switch to disks, if I could find any info on it.

9. broncoman6524

id do that...except when i cranked it down. it started to strip it.

10. Pvt. Maggot

I'd get some new fittings, they need snugged down pretty good, and redo the flare just to make sure.

11. broncoman6524

thats waht im plannin on when. i go im gonna get new hardlines like i said...and just hope for hte best...lol

12. Pvt. Maggot

Are your lines bad? really rusty or anything? If not i'd say try and reflare before you spend money on new lines. Its nice to know they are new though.

13. broncoman6524

no theyre not rusty at all...this started only after i swapped axles...10-10. hmm maybe theyre not tight enough. idk im gonna go put it back to gether and put vicegrips on the thingys and try it that way :) lol

14. Pvt. Maggot

just go pickup a new fitting, re double bubble it, and crank it down, it should seal right up.

15. broncoman6524

welp as of right now its sealed...:D lol. theyre bled as best as i can alone...so well se once theyre bled properly.

16. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use teflon tape on those fittings. You certain you are using all the same fittings- not mixing up AN and NPT or something.

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Teflon tape won't really hurt anything but it's completely unnecessary. The line seals on the flare and seat, not the threads.

Definitely make sure you're using the right fittings, though. An AN fitting would be next to impossible to mistake for a double-flare brake line but it would be easy to mix SAE and Metric lines.