Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes don't work after lift.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tommy4902, Mar 17, 2006.

1. tommy4902

tommy4902 Registered Member

I just installed a 6 inch lift on my 70 Blazer, but now the brake pedal turned to mush. I don't know if I pulled one of the brakelines loose trying to replace the springs. I checked the fluid before the lift and it was fine. After the lift I drove it around and the pedal turned to mush and when I checked the fuid it was a little low. I looked at all the lines and they all look ok, but something must be loose or something. Is there a way to tell which brake line might be causing the problem or do I have to go through each brake?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did you swap in longer lines as part of the kit? If not, you might have stretched one of the lines so far that the inner part of a brake line broke. The outer protective rubber can still hold in the fluid, but will swell up when the pedal is pressed. You NEED longer brakes lines with a 6 inch lift.

3. tommy4902

tommy4902 Registered Member

Thats what I was thinking. Is there any way to tell which line it was? I replaced the lines once before when I did a 4 inch lift so I was hoping the lines would be ok to continue using them. I was thinking it would of been the rear one cause the rear dangled a bit when I put the blocks in.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Maybe have someone press the brake pedal while you watch the line to see if it baloons?