Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes: From 1/2 axles, to 1 ton axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Dec 9, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I can't find exactly what I am searching for, and maybe it's because I am suing the wrong keyword... but...

In going from 1/2 axles to 1 ton axles, what all will need to be done with the brakes? The rear 14 bolt just for FYI has disc brakes. My lift is currently at 6", and I am staying at 6". I need any info, problems you encountered, tip, tricks, anything basically, because it will all be appreciated. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

as far as brakes goes I have 1/2ton front 3/4 rear(14bolt FF with disk)I needed a master cylinder anyways so I got a 3/4ton one not to much differance but It works good I wanted a 1ton but couldent find one at the time but later found out all the ones at napa i was looking at were the wrong years or for hydroboost... also theres a vette MC out there thats sposta be nice, but anyways my truck stops nicely now but I might put a portioning valve on later /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Your Blazer is an '86 so you have 10 bolts stock, so your front brake lines will fit the D60. You will need to run new hardlines in the rear between the flexible rear line and the flexible lines at each caliper.

As far as what you'll need to do as far as a prop valve or MC, I think you will need to see how the brakes work after the axle swap. I researched here to find out exactly what I'd need to do after my swap and it really depends on how the brakes work. I guess I was lucky, because my brakes work quite well, I didn't need to change prop valve or MC. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There is thread here that was started by GRIM-REAPER that is quite helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'll have to lengthen my front lines, I know this because my friend helped me lengthen them, because when I bought my truck they were tight. The prevous owner never bothered to extend them after lifting 6 inches.

Thanks for the link to that thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just for learning reasons only:
    what changed about the lines and what year ? was it that they went to metric thread,s ro different outside diameter fitting or different size line ?
    thanks

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

D60 and 10 bolt use the same metric banjo bolt (10 mm IIRC) and the D44 uses 7/16" bsnjo bolt.

Rene

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    D60 and 10 bolt use the same metric banjo bolt (10 mm IIRC) and the D44 uses 7/16" bsnjo bolt.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that is the way I understand it too. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll have to lengthen my front lines, I know this because my friend helped me lengthen them, because when I bought my truck they were tight. The prevous owner never bothered to extend them after lifting 6 inches.

Thanks for the link to that thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the same boat....I still have the stock front lines with my 4" lift. Good thing my shocks are too short too, they act as limiting straps so I don't stretch a line. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That will soon change though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif