Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes: From 1/2 ton to 1 ton?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, May 21, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok, I'm not finding the answers I want with a search... maybe I am not look up the right key words... anyhow, I am going to be going from stock 10 bolt axles, front and rear, to a Dana 60 front, 14 bolt full floater rear. What do I need to do for my braking system? The rear 14 bolt has disc brakes. What can I use I have now, if anything, what will I need to replace? My front lines suck, they are barely long enough. I want to get rid of them anyhow. Also, my parking/emergency brake, it's warn. It doesn't work like it should. It's not tight at all. What brands are good to buy, what brands should I avoid in buying items. What would be an ideal set up? Keep in mind I will be using this for a lot of street driving and this is a heavy sucker. I'm not much into wanting to lighten her up at this point and will be adding weight to it someday with things like a cage and bumpers. I want to do it once, and do it right with quality parts. Since I am going to be saving up for crossover steering, adding a few bucks more for a good braking system won't make much difference to me. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What can I use I have now, if anything, what will I need to replace?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to use the brake lines and the caliper bolts.I suspect the calipers and rotors are different. The D44 and the 10 bolt are different so I assume the D60 will be as well. I purchased 10 bolt fornt calipers for $15.95 each from Pep Boys. I would get 4 new calipers for that price. Get some pads for $20 a set while you are at it.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, my parking/emergency brake, it's warn. It doesn't work like it should. It's not tight at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chances are the c clip holding the ebrake cable in has worked its way off on one of the rear drums.

You should also do some research on the proportioning valve. A factory 4 wheel disc brake car will have a different one than a rear drum front disc setup. Most people do not care about this but I think it is worth looking into if you want it done the right way.

Good luck

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Anyone else got any info? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IIRC there was a HUGE thread on this about 5 or 6 months ago. </font>