Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes locked....now no parking brake

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Mar 6, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

My truck was sitting for awhile, only about a month tho, and I got it running and tried to back it up and it wouldnt go anywhere. I jacked up the rear end and with everything in N and the brake off I try moving the wheel. It moves a little back and forth but thats it. I keep moving it back and forth and it breaks loose...everything is good. When the wheels turned it would make a scratching sound. Took the wheel off again and the it ended up being all kinds of dirth in on the brakes (drum btw). Cleaned those up and the noise stopped. But now my parking brake doesnt work. Maybe it never worked and I just now notice. Any of you guys had this happen to you, before I take everything apart again? (I'm feeling lazy today so I figure I might as well ask before screwing around with it :D)

2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Yeah, if they were full of crud the e-brake arms i the drum probably froze up. Yank the drums off and see if you can wiggle them loose, but it's no major deal. I bought the e-brake parts kit at a local parts house for $10 a side. Might want to turn the drums though, or they will jerk/drag for a while until you wear the crud off where they stuck.