Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes locking up????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NAUBlazer, Mar 13, 2003.

1. NAUBlazer

NAUBlazer Registered Member

Hey guys i've got a question. When i'm coming to a stop sometimes one of my tires with lock up. It usually happens when i'm going really slow. It seems to alternate between the front left and front right as to which locks up? Is there a valve or something that controls the pressure? Has this ever happened to anyone? Thanks for the input.
    --Adam

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Does it seem to do it when the brakes are "cold" (when you first start driving for the day) and/or all the time, or is it only once the brakes "warm up"?

Warmed up only usually indicates the pads have been contaminated with some kind of fluid like gear oil, which swells the linings as they warm up.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is your fluid old? If so you might want to replace it.

4. NAUBlazer

It seems like the brakes do it when they warm up a little. They might have gotten a little coolant on them...i blew a heater hose. Would that do it you think? Thanks for the input guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. NAUBlazer

I'll try replacing the fluid too. Thanks again guys!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since antifreeze really won't evaporate when mixed properly, or at least takes a very long time to do so, it's quite possible. Besides, since it is a chemical composition, no telling what it does once it gets into brake pad lining and gets hot.

Odd that it would swap side to side, but if both got coolant on them, I guess it would be possible.

FWIW, gear oil on one of my rear drums would act the same way when hot, lock up solid, but only if I was going slow enough.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    FWIW, gear oil on one of my rear drums would act the same way when hot, lock up solid, but only if I was going slow enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad axle seal?

Mine did that on the driver's side when I first bought it because of a bad axle/drum seal. I put new seals in and new shoes and it was good to go. About a month later I blew the wheel cylinder and soaked the shoes again. I replaced the wheel cylinders and soaked the shoes down with brake clean but it still locked up the same way it did when they were soaked with gear oil. I had to replace the almost new shoes again to fix it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif 14FF shoes are not cheap $$...... Oh well. Live and learn /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I guess that's why I'm real anal now about replacing EVERYTHING when I do a job like that. Saves in the long run /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif