Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes/Loss of Power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Donnie, Apr 30, 2000.

1. Donnie

Donnie Newbie

I have a 1984 K-5 4WD I'm restoring. After about 10 miles both front hubs become real hot to the touch and my new motor losses power. I've replaced both calipers,discs pads and brake lines. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

Have you checked the rotors? They could be warped pretty bad. Worth a try to check them. I also have been experiencing braking headaches.
    Good Luck, Chris

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just because you put rebuilt calipers on doesn't mean they can't be your problem . I 've seen rebuilt ones that go bad fro the get go . Jack it up and see how free they spin .

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well the brake problem does not explain the loss of power, unless you have a vacuum problem with the power booster for the brakes.....you might want to check the system out...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

5. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

The loss of power might be experianced as such due to the binding of the brakes and not have anything to do with the engine itself. Check the calipers again to see if they release properly both when cold and more importantly when they become hot during driving/use. You might also want to check the proportioning valve while you are at. Good luck.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Did you tighten the hub retaining nuts properly? What about repacking the bearings? When you purchased the new rotors they come with new races, did you use the old bearings or new ones? What about the brake fluid?

I my self just replaced EVERYTHING expt. the stock metal lines and rubber flex lines. If you don't follow the proper torque specifications on the front hubs you are in for trouble. Also, did you turn your new rotors?

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, check them bearings! I'm willing to bet the "loss of power" is really the drag of bearings that are dying. Check them and grease them before you melt the stubshaft and send a wheel flying into traffic.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...