Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes on 14 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Janitorjim8, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

So i have the oppurtunity to get a 14 bolt and a dana 44 both with 4.11s in them already. I am just wondering what ways there are to upgrade these brakes, I really want to do 4 wheel disks. Any help like what years were compatible or any companys that sell anything would be great. If I keep the Corporate 10 bolts I'd also like to upgrade those too.

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

14 bolts are cool!!! You can throw on calipers and rotors from the front of a 70's Chevy truck, all you need to do is build or buy caliper brackets, some brake lines and MAYBE a proportioning valve. :eek1:

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

4. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

another question, on this if its 8 lug, will there be a way for me to change it back to 6 lug?

5. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Not cheaply. I went up that road about a month ago. Apart from the random used adapters for sale, it can be difficult to justify all that is needed for the conversion. The hubs on a 14 bolt won't fit through the center hole in a 6-bolt rim.

If you can machine your own hubs and come across a deal on adapters, it's a viable route. If you are really bent on keeping the 6-bolt rims, you can drop about $500 on a new set of hubs, which might be the easiest and strongest way to do it. Bear in mind that if you have 15" rims, and they are alloys, they may not fit over the drums.

I found it cheaper to just get a set of 8-bolt steel rims. I got to keep the 15" tires I already had, and didn't have to mess with adapters.