Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes on 2.5T Rockwells

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Jun 4, 2005.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an itch that I my end up scratching if I can't find a reason to stop. :confused:

Does anyone know how you have to setup the brakes for rockwell axles? Do you have to swap in a hydro setup or can you the vaccum setup that is in 1 ton GM's? thanks for any info.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Huh?

If you want to reuse the stock drums, you need big rims. Lots of companies make at the wheel disc brakes and pinion mounted disc brakes. Those are just standard hydraulic brake setups. Sounds like you are talking about Hydro Boost vs Vacuum Boost Brakes. THats sort of more of a personal call. I don't want Hydro boost on any of my rigs for the plumbing factor, I'll stick with Vacuum or no boost.

3. RingMaster4x4

you got it right. I was just worndering about if you had to use hydro boost brake system or if I can use the 1 ton brake booster and master cylinder. If I do put in Rockwells I will use the pinion mounted disc.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pinion mounted disc is a nice setup if you protect the discs. It increases your braking power by 6.72 times, so vacuum boost would be sufficient. I know I've seen manual brake setups powering discs on rockwells.

5. RingMaster4x4

Really cool. maybe you can help me with one more question. how much lift (for lack of a better term) do you have to clear top loaders as comparied to a D60 and 14 bolt? Maybe this is a little better. how far do the top stick up on a toploader? :confused:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm useless on this. hopefully DP_90K5 checks in, hes done it.

7. RingMaster4x4

cool thanks

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've read/heard that pinion brakes are not recommended for street driving duties due to the fact they spin that much faster than the rotors on the bearing hubs. That translates to more heat when applying brakes.
    Me personally, I would use 4 rotors at the corners and run the 1 ton hydro-boost setup. If the braking performance is not up to par, I would mess with the proportion valve after that.

9. RingMaster4x4

ok that is good info thanks. I will look at disc for all four rim size is not a issues I will the 20's noproblem. I just don't want drums because of the wieght.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wheel brakes are expensive. I have heard discouragement about using pinion brakes on the street. Most of the Rockwell equipped rigs I've seen never see the street anyway.