Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes Overheating

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stevesa, Mar 22, 2004.

1. stevesa

stevesa Newbie

I have a 1996 Toyota (yes Toyota) T100 that has the front end from a 1971 Chevy Blazer. It is running 15 inch wheels with 37 inch tires. The front breaks are stock Chevy and the rears are stock Toyota. I need a solution that will allow me to keep the stock sized front rotors, but gain much better cooling. The brakes work well in cooler weather, but now that the warm weather is here the fronts overheat and the calipers lock.

TIA!
    Steve

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know from nuthin but is everything all nice and clean or is it all gummed up? I would think that the Chevy stuff would be more than beefy to handle the weight of your truck. The other thing could be are you ridin your brakes all of the time like in rush hour traffic? That would make them all hot and what not. Also, are they releasing ? If not you might check the master cylinder as well. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why are they getting too hot? Are your calipers sticking, or do you have an airflow issue?

4. stevesa

stevesa Newbie

Not ridin' the brakes. It's a stick shift! They just overheat from time to time. When they do overheat, one of the front calipers sticks. Once it cools down, it releases. Every thing is nice and clean.

Just flushed the brake system and replaced the DOT 3 fluid with DOT 4. Hope that helps some.

Thanks for the replies! Any additional thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

5. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to replace your calipers.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bet the problem is that your rear brakes arn't doing anything at all!

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Bingo, I concur /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Try bleeding them again and make sure the rears are adjusted out until they slightly drag. Don't forget some sliding grease on points where shoes touch backing plates (but not on lining). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Try replacing the rubber brake lines up front. I the inner liner on one of them has ruptured, it will cause the caliper to lock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Try replacing the rubber brake lines up front. I the inner liner on one of them has ruptured, it will cause the caliper to lock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

Any time calipers are replaced, brake hoses should also. Just like any other hose, they rot from the inside out.