Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Dec 26, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

my brakes were squealin, so i took the wheels off to clean em off in case there was mud or brake dust build up on em, and i saw that the front right's wear "sensor" is contacting the rotor, while the left's is a good 5mm away. im guessing i have a sticking caliper. anyway, my question is, i have to drive to west virginia tomorrow morning about 7, so a brake job is out of the question. do yall think it's ok to drive the truck there and back? the worn side still has a good 1/5th inch of pad left, but can the caliper close far enough to use all of that? if so, im just gonna bend that wear sensor do-whack outta the way and get the pads changed ASA i get back /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. thezentree

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I think you can get there and back on 3 working brakes /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, don't sue me if something screws up though /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hell, you can even drive with just your back brakes if you adjust your driving properly.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yes, bend the tab back and go, but be forwarned that if the caliper is sticking bad enough, the pad can wear down extremely quick, to the metal backing plate, score the rotor and cause heat spots..

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you've got it, apply a little silicone dielectric grease to the caliper's sliding surfaces.

6. thezentree

i dont think its sticking badly at all, just enough to wear it a little faster than the other side. its worn down probably 5mm than the other side, and these pads are almost 8 months old, so im not worried about it grinding calipers in under 1000 miles. anyway, i bent it back just a little to where it'll squeal when it gets dangerous

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if your pad is 8 months old and has worn 5mm.. theres not gonna be much left of that pad.. most pads tend to be between 6.5-8mm when new..

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think I've EVER pulled pads off of a well used (100,000 miles or so lol) GM vehicle, truck or car, that weren't "unevenly" worn. If it's just a bit, and doesn't pull (or barely) when you are braking hard, I'd clean everything up, lube what needs lubed (the pins) and replace the pads and call it good.

Uneven braking thats bad enough to cause pull needs fixed IMO. 5MM more on one side is not bad in my mind.