Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Innerpiece, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

hi all ---

87 k5 silverado, 305 TBI, 700r4, np08, corp 10 bolt 3.1, 32x10.5x15. I've recently bled the brakes, replaced the shoes on the rear, replaced the rotors, calipers and pads up front, and pressure checked all of the lines at the cylinders. Brake lines are good. I orignally started work on the fronts b/c the right caliper would drag and/or lock up from time to time... Things have gotten better but I still have a problem.

During easy to moderate braking, the truck does fine. But if I start to put my foot down (either abruptly or gradually increasing) she'll pull. Mostly to the right but either way. Worse when pulling a trailer (5000# boat with surge brakes). I have to turn the steering wheel about 60 degrees in the most extreme pulls.

It's just a bit disconcerting when you start a panic stop because some idiot decides he absolutely must turn right now and damn near jumping into another lane. any thoughts? wheel bearings fried from caliper seizure? truck trying to follow the ruts in shitty ass mississippi roads?

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

you have a constant pressure from the master cylender to each line correct.. i have seen some master cylenders when press hard (Hitting brakes hard) push out harder to one side then the other due to obstuctions in the line... You might want to go ahead and bleed the brake in the front till you get clean fluid out of them.. usually this will take car of the problem.. .If you have already dont this then the logical point would be to see if you have a slightly warped rotor.. Some of the new rotors you buy are not totally straight.. usually they are but... I always turn new rotors when i get them just to make sure... After checking these then look into a possiable wheel balance.. i know it sounds weird but that could cause your problem also.. After that then im not totally sure..but that will give you something to check into... Oh yea... easy way to check to see if it might be the wheels doing it.. change the two front wheels with each other and nail the brakes.. if it pulls the other way then you know where to look...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Did you check tie-rod ends and ball joints? It could also be a wheel bearing. Lift the front tires and try to shake them to see if there's any play.

Maybe this will sound a bit extreme, but I would check the frame from cracks. If you're positive everything else is OK, there may be the famous crack in the frame near the steering gear box. When you brake the frame flexes in that part.

My case was the opposite. I had always felt a strange shake of the Blazer when starting to brake, but as I continued to stop felt nothing. One day I discovered the crack and installed the Offroad design brace. From that moment on, the Blazer pulled to one side. I later discovered that one of the front calipers was seizing and the frame flex was hiding the problem.

Good luck.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I did the exact same thing as what prem has already stated. I can say it kinda made a difference. The main factor in my case was varying tire PSI in all four tires. It changed the pull direction after I rotated the tires. So now I just keep a quality tire guage around when towing.

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem, i replaced my pads and caliper and turned thr rotors. Well i would pull to the right under hard braking, so i returned the caliper and put on a new one, same thing still pulled right so bled them several more times and it still pulled. well it turned out to be the POS auto zone pads. i put on a set of raybestos pads and i can lockem up in a strait line. try swapping your pads from left to right that will tell ya if your pads are contaminated. hope this helps.