Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes squeeking for no reason

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My brakes on my 89 started to squeek a few days a ago, i figured either water or time for a new set of disc and drum pads. I threw my truck up on the lift and took a peek, i had more than 3/4 pad left on all 4!! I cleaned out all the gunk and brake pad shavings. The damn things still squeek!!!! Any suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First is it really your brakes? U-joints are known to squeak (sometimes while under the stress of braking)....worth a shot. I have also had the metal "squeal" tab on the front pad bend to a point of touching the caliper prematurely and causing a squeal.

Don't know if any of these are your problem, but worth a shot.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I have also had the metal "squeal" tab on the front pad bend to a point of touching the caliper prematurely and causing a squeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd recommend checking out the tabs as well. I've seen this happen a lot.....

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Another thing is take the pads out and look at the face of them. If you got them real hot then they might be glazed and will look real shiny.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I'd pull the pads, de-glaze them with some sandpaper or a die grinder (PLEASE wear a ventilation mask to do this) and CHECK THE RUNOUT on the rotors and drums...Do the brakes squeak when you are braking or when you are just motoring along?also, throw some anti-squeal stuff on the back of the pads...IT WORKS...

Chris

6. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Out of curiousity, if your pads are glazed can damage to the rotors occur? Also is there less braking power with glazed pads?

jason

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Hit the pads and shoes with some sandpaper and then wipe them off (both sides) with brake cleaner. Put some RTV on the back side of each pad and put it back together. Sometimes the squeaking is actually nothing more than the pad vibrating against the piston or caliper body. It's even more common on those brakes that people don't bend the tangs over to keep them from moving around.