Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes Still Bad After Booster And M/C Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'll go search too, but I thought I'd drop a line here in case I don't find anything

Brakes were almost nonexistant so I replcaed the master cylinder and booster, then had the lines bled.

They work now, and will gradually slow down instead of instantly lock up, but the pedal STILL has 4"of useless travel before it hits an effective half inch of pedal travel that actually engages the brakes. A friend suggested the rear drums need adjusting soemhow, soemthign to do with shoving a screwdriver in a peep hole and spinning the tire?

Anyway, sorry for lurking, and thanks for the help

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Your new master cyl may be bad. My buddy went through 4 before he had one that worked.
    I think he went through 5 big bottles of Dot3 too!

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Remove your rear drums to do the adjustment, and while you're in there, inspect the wheel cylinders. If they are leaking, it will be wet around the ends of the cylinder.

When adjusting them, remove the drum and rotate the adjuster to push the shoes further apart. Then test fit the drum back over the shoes. You should be able to get the shoes adjusted to where the drums will barely slide over the shoes.

Hope this helps,
    Thomas.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hey thanks! Yes it will help quite a bit I imagine. I shall try it on the morror, or that morrows morrow, or on that morrows morrows morror, or thereafter, as I can.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Bleed em again,... and again... and again... never underestimate the importance of a very good bleed. Assuming everything is adjusted that is! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Two easy things to try... Make sure your cap on the MC is TIGHT and making a good seal. I think you can adjust the drum brakes in the back by backing up slowly and lightly hitting the brakes every few seconds and releasing. After a few times hit it a little harder once and twice. Then put it in drive and test them. Worked for me a couple times after putting in new shoes. GOOD LUCK, Jeremiah