Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BRAKES STUCK?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Poohbair, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I recently towed a 80 Jimmy home that had been parked for over 10 years. On the tow home the guy I was towing stepped on the brakes and they stuck on /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif? What do you think this probably is, and the CHEAPEST way to fix it? I don't want to redo the whole brake system... Im thinking maybe master cyl or wheel cyl?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, since it sat for so long, first start by tearing apart the drum brakes and calipers. There's a good chance the calipers didn't return to the open position once the pressure was let off because the piston got stuck. Likewise, the springs and stuff in the drums out back could be stuck too.
    There are so many possiblities (like you said, wheel cylinder and master cylinder) so it's hard to say for sure. Start with the calipers and drums. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I will have to do that, thanks. Driving w/ the brakes on would kill my fuel mileage when I get the new motor put in!

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Driving w/ the brakes on would kill my fuel mileage when I get the new motor put in!

[/ QUOTE ]
    That and it would create so much heat you'd be warping rotors and drums left and right. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Hey POOH
    I dont really dont like being referred to "THE GUY I WAS TOWING" i have a name you know..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    BRAD

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but nobody here knows your real name.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    OK everybody...I was towing BRAD and he messed up my brakes... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK everybody...I was towing BRAD and he messed up my brakes

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif There, how's that for recognition. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I recently towed a 80 Jimmy home that had been parked for over 10 years. On the tow home the guy I was towing stepped on the brakes and they stuck on /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif? What do you think this probably is, and the CHEAPEST way to fix it? I don't want to redo the whole brake system... Im thinking maybe master cyl or wheel cyl?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Brakes and Cheap should never beused in the same sentence. If it sat for 10years I would seriously concider replacing EVERYthing but the hard lines. I would blow them out and start with freash fluid. Turn the rotors, prepalce the calipers, wheel cylinders and pads. I wo0uld also concider replacing the master. SITTING IS BAD for vehicles. I would also pull the diff coveras andm ake suth the ring and pinions are not covered with rust.

9. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Thanks POOH, i feel so much better now that im recognized.
    Two Days Till The Swap Meet!!!!

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I spose he is right. The half of the ring gear that is not submersed in oil could be rusty.