Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes, suggestions..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hobbes68, Dec 22, 2000.

1. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

It's time to replace the front brake pads and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what brand / material I should use. My truck has 35" tires on it and it could use all the help it can get in the braking department. I remember reading (or hearing) that NAPA's ceramic pads are excellent. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks!

2. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

you might want to try those new cross drilled rotors.... the help dissapate the heat better. Also make sure you have your rotors turned down if not replaced ....... ceramic pads are good but i usually like the bendix new suv brand.

Bigger Is Better
    Channing74

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'd stay away from the crossdrilled rotors. The import car magazines are full of horror stories about cracked rotors from improper crossdrilling. If your heart is set on some kind of vented rotor, Powerslot rotors are supposed to be about the best of the bunch.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I really like Performance Friction brake pads. Autozone has them for about $25 with a lifetime warranty, so just keep bringing them in. The pad is going to make more difference in your stopping power than the rotor. Cracking rotors are usually from Autocrossing where the brakes are abused for hours and the huge heat causes stress cracks. Never drill regular rotors. The casting should have the holes in it to begin with. If you get slotted or X-drilled, get them from a reputable manufacturer, like KVR, Powerslot or Baer (if you're rich).

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"