Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nicotine, Sep 25, 2004.

1. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

was driving the other day and all of a suden my brakes started to pull hard to the right when i apply preasure. i locked them up to check it out and only one side locked the passengers. what would cause my brakes to do this all of a sudden? also sometimes i can hear my drivers side brake sqeek with each rotation? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

The pulling to the right sounds like you have a caliper hanging up or going bad. The squeaky of the brake pads could be the indicator on the pads... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Your caliper has seized. Replace the pass side caliper and you should be fine. I had this same problem but it was my driver side.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Tristar. It sure sounds like your caliper is siezed shut. This would be a good opportunity to replace the calipers and pads and turn your rotors.

The caliper job is pretty easy, and if you are mechanical enough to take your own rotors off the truck, most shops will turn the rotors for a few bucks each.

Make sure you take the time to check your brake lines while you're under the truck, brother.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Could be a bad rubber brake hose too--my van did the same thing,I assumed it was the calipers so I got rebuilt ones--it felt ok on the test ride after installing them,but the brakes started pulling and locking the next day on my way to work--a mechanic friend told me to loosen up the bleeder screw after jacking the tire off the ground--if that releases the brake--its the brake hose that has failed internally,acting as a one way valve--lets pressure into the caliper,but wont let it flow back to the master cylinder and release.If the brakes are locked still after opening the bleeder,its the caliper seized its piston,or is sticking on its bolts and slides. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

shouldnt it be the drivers side calipier i have to replace since it has no preasure?