Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gunner_vincent, Nov 27, 2004.

1. gunner_vincent

gunner_vincent Registered Member

Hey guys, I got my lift and 35's on, but after the lift install due to busted bleed screws on the caliper, i changed the drivers side caliper. after getting on the road, the passenger side got really HOT! and it was pulling really hard to the Left. we waited for a while and left again and it has not got hot since but continued to pull to the left.. So this morning I changed the passenger side caliper, knowing I should have changed them in pairs. After the right side installation, it still continues to pull what the hell is going on with it? Both sides Bled very well, spitting brake fluid as high as the fender well if i would let it. Any Ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

is it pulling to the left all the time or just when you brake?

3. gunner_vincent

just when i brake... sorry, and its a 78 K5 1/2

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

easiest way to bleed brakes is this.....
    take your rig down to a brake shop and have them power bleed it. the bonus is a full fluid change hat is most likely needed.

double check to make sure you installed everything right first. also check your own bleed once as well. might be one, the other or both. if thats a no go go for the power bleed. they are like 20 dollars around arizona.
    grant

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

did you put on new brake lines? Maybe the old rubber one on the right collapsed?

6. gunner_vincent

every thing was put on right and i put new ones on both side.... extended lines due to the lift

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

did you put new pads on the old pass side caliper? or did you just leave the old pads on there?

8. gunner_vincent

left them on them... bad move?

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Have someone push and release the brake pedal, then open the bleeder. What happens? If fluid shoots out I would have to guess there is a brake line problem.

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

If your brakes got too hot they would heat up the grease around your wheel bearings, better check them and re-pack! I'm not leading you around with this, I'd chech'em. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    every thing was put on right

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it that every person that comes to this board to ask for help on something they recently installed, but is not working correctly, make this claim?

It sounds like a right side caliper was put onto the left side...upside down.

12. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Your rear axle seals or brake cylinders are leaking, I'll bet. Sounds unlikely, but any fluid on the rears will make them lock on slippery surfaces, and pull on good traction. If you really mashed the pedal while bleeding, you may have blown the rears if they were marginal. Look for dripping, and if not sure pull the drums.

13. gunner_vincent

that is damn near impossible, to put it on upside down... would'nt your bleed screw be upside down too? good input though, try to put yours on upside down, let me know how it went.

14. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    would'nt your bleed screw be upside down too?

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!

It sounds like to me the left side caliper is not working, and the right side is doing all the stopping. Check the part number on the left side caliper, and make sure it is not a right side caliper.