Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Apr 12, 2001.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I HAVE A 84 BLAZER WANT TO CHANGE FRONT BRAKES,CALIPERS,ROTORS,LINES. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR? UPGRADE? PROBLEMS I MIGHT HAVE?

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

You'll need the special hub socket to get the rotors off. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. Any repair manual covers it pretty well. Might as well inspect/change wheel bearings and that little bearing that the sub axle rides on along with the seal on the back side. Get the highest quality aftermarket rotors, pads, calipers you can. Brakes is one area you shouldn't try to safe a couple bucks, esp. if you have oversized tires. You can get longer brake lines for when you go to a lift if you haven't already. NAPA has them, but you'll have to find a helpful counter person and should take your old line in to make sure the ends are correct. Also inspect the axle u-joint at the hub and replace that if worn. Since you have it all apart, might as well take care of everything. Oh yeah, some of the guys run marine grease in the wheel bearings.

[​IMG]

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

ditto on the brakes. I spent over two month trying to figure out why my front brakes were not locking up. turned out to be the pads, I got some cheapies that crumbled apart.

ARQ.

4. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

The outer casing of the hub and the rotor are two seperate parts. You will need to get the hub part machine pressed off the rotor and then re-pressed onto the new rotor. It cost me $20 to do this about a week ago. If you are buying new brake lines, you might as well get steel braded brake lines. I got Pro Comp lines from 4 Wheel Parts online. They cost about $100 with shipping and I got them in 3 days. It you have any questions when you are doing the job, PM me and I should be able to help. I just did the whole job last week.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

5. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

you were right about the machine press, does this mean that these are the originals? 4x4 a little bit of a pain. did a convert job on my nova that went much smoother than this.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You dont need a press, just a brass drift, BFH and someone to hold it. Thats how I switched the rotors on my 8 lug 44 and mounted the rotors on my 14 bolt.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

What rotors did you mount on your 14 bolt?Is there some group of factory parts that can be worked together to have a rear disc brake setup on these monsters?

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>TSM brackets, F250 rotors, cadillac eldorado or stock GM 4x4 front calipers. Check my site for pictures, its in my profile.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]