Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bamf, Sep 26, 2005.

1. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

Right now my brakes suck. I took them to a brake shop and they said there fine its just they need adjusting. But sometimes i feel like im going to run that stop sign lol cause the brakes take there sweet ass time to stop.

anyways ? is what can i do to make my brakes better.

Right now Im pretty sure the brakes are all a stock brake set up.

truck is a 87 k5 blazer 4' lift with 35' tires.

Thanks
    Alan

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds like it might be time to give the lines a good bleed. Have you tried bleeding the brake lines yet?

3. jfabert

jfabert 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the same year w/the same set up and mine are pritty bad also. I have replaced everything in the brake system except the lines and still are bad. I'm thinking that they need to be power bled but no one in my town can do it. Im just going to have to wate until I move in November.

4. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

well i took it to 3 differnt places to check out the brakes.

1st place. - Meineke Car Care Center they said it would be 1000.+ to fix the brakes.

2nd place. I took it to a brake and axle place they said that all the brakes needed where to be adjusted. they did it and i didnt notice a difference.

3rd place. LANE AUTOMOTIVE I have gone to them a few times not with this truck but they have worked on my wifes care a few times and had nothing but good things to say about this place. anyways took it in the truck so they could add a new steering gear box and check the brakes they said all the brakes needed where adjusting.

well **** these brakes have been adjusted 2 times and still no difference.

So u think the brakes just need to have a good bleed? or what?

any help ideas? or know anyone in fayetteville NC that can help. please let me know
    thanks
    Alan

5. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Are you brakes just weak or what? Does your pedal go to the floor or feel spongy? Is the pedal firm but requires high effort? Does the truck deaccelerate fine at 1st but then dosen't seem deaccelerate as well after the brakes are applied for a while? (fade away?) Does pumping the pedal help? Does your truck steer to one side when you apply the brakes?
    Most of these are seperate problems with different solutions, so be specific.

6. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

I push the pedel and it seems fine. Its just that when i hit the pedel it doesnt bite. I have to hole the pedel down and pray i stop in time

7. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

I had a 85 k20 and the brakes just sucked too. I then found that the rear brakes werent working at all, and I found that the line from the M/C was broken and pinched off, then after I fixed that I found that one of the drums was full of grease. Brakes were real good after that.
    The moral is that your rear brakes do more than you may realize, when those shops say they just need adjustment, what they are probably talking about is the star adjuster between the shoes. this little gizmo is supposed to adjust itslef every time you back up and hit the brakes. Now the problem is that if you've ever had the drums in the water or driven it in the rain or let it sit for a while, these things get stuck hard. Its also possible to get the shoes in backwards which still stops, but not as well.
    Jack your truck up and have a friend hit the brakes while you turn the wheels by hand, just to make sure that they all work. If they do, rotate the rear wheels and see if theres any drag. if your brakes have just been adjusted there should be a little bit. If not, then you need to get the chilton manual out and pull the drums off and see whats up. Just look at the picture to see about the shoe orientation, then see if you can spin the star adjuster by hand. (move the little actuator out of the way, looks a little like a hockey stick and its left hand thread i think) if its stuck, then the shop who attempted to adjust it might have thought the adjustment was ok where it was. If you find it stuck, you can by a new one at the store or unstuck yours.

I really think every 4x4 I've ever owned has had improperly adjusted rear brakes due to stuck star adjusters.

Hope this helps you out.