Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

New calipers, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, rotors, and brake fluid. I bled the brakes for over an hour. No air coming out. Pedal is fine, truck stops decently under light pressure. But if I kick it had, its squishy and won't lock the wheels up? I am going to have to go get them vacuum bled?
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Re: Brakes -- hoses?

If the hoses are old, they'll expand when you whang on the pedal, and your pressure is lost to making them blow up like balloons /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

When I redid my '77 recently, I replaced all three of the soft hose sections (left, right, center rear) -- wasn't too much more $$ than I'd already spent on rotors, calipers, etc, and the old ones were pretty scary after 20+ years in the Las Vegas desert heat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

The hoses looked good. I checked them visually under pressure and they didn't expand noticeable.
    Aaron

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Could be leaky master or booster, then. I don't have any scientific method of checking them -- when I did the '77 I upgraded to the later style master, with the bigger piston, so I had to get the later booster to match.

-- A

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did you turn the rotors?
    Pads need to seat and on fresh turned rotors they seat much faster.
    Drive around and make a few hard stops and ride the brakes HARD at low speeds to get the pads to seat. If you have unturned rotors and they have slight gooves of even a couple thousanths of an inch then your not getting full pad contact. You may be getting as little as 25% pad contact till the pads wear into the rotor.

6. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Brand New Rotors and new pads. I am going out right now to bleed again. I will try the seating the pads idea.
    Thanks
    AW