Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Braking performance on one ton stuff verus 1/2 ton.............

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, May 25, 2001.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Did the one ton conversion last weekend.........got the brakes powerbled (good advice Steve [​IMG])............and that thing stops like you threw a couple of anchors out the window!

My question - I asked in the past about the "improvement" in braking performance with this upgrade (to one ton) and I recall most comments were "not much better than 1/2 ton". Now I realize the stuff I have on now is brand new everything, with stainless braided lines, but there is a HUGE difference..............did you guys feel as noticeable an improvement when you did your swaps?

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my 1/2 ton brakes sucked with the 35's. Went to 3/4, much better, the rear disk, and finally one ton front. Noticable improvement each time. The power bleeding thing worked for me too, but as I recall I haven't done it since I ditched the OEM proportioning valve. I also swapped masters, 1/2 to 3/4, then to 1 ton, and I run the factory hydroboost.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just wondering - when you went to 3/4 ton and then 1 ton master cylinder, did you also swap the booster to one ton to match the master?

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

He said he was using the hydroboost, which means he has a diesel. The hydroboost system uses pressure built up by the power steering pump to assist in braking. There is no changable booster.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn Frank, sounds like its time for another road trip to check out yer beast! I just saw the pics in my email! Very sharp!
    When the axle seal on my 14 isn't leaking my Jimmy stops hard enough to make you eat the steering wheel...I can only imagine how good yours stops with those big front brakes!

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just because he switched over to hydroboost does not mean he has a diesel!!! The hydroboost was standard on 1 ton trucks, gas AND diesel, and also standard on ALL diesel trucks. I should know because I have had 1 tons all with 454's and they ALL had hydroboost systems. [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

7. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Well pardon me for being misinformed. Sorry.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Live and let learn! [​IMG] No, I'm not being harsh! Just setting the facts straight. [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

9. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

FWIW, the reason for the hydraboost on diesels is because of the vacuum signal!

My daily driver is a diesel Jetta, when I bought it the first thing I checked under the hood was how they got the vacuum for the power brakes.......it uses a separate vacuum pump not hydraboost.

Thanks

Ron

10. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

What do you guys mean by "power bleeding" your brakes? I just did mine and when I needed to bleed the lines for the front calipers, I just had my wife stomp down on the pedal good a few times for each side. If there's a better way to do it I'd like to know what it is and how to do it.

Thanks,

Buddy

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey, did ya know that there is a difference between K5 (1/2ton) and one ton hydraboosters. 'Don't know about the 3/4 tons. If you put a one ton 'booster on a K5 it will make the stock brakes overly sensitive (a bad thing). And yes I only know of DIESEL K5's with hydraboost.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

12. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I run the D60 axle & brakes up front, TSM disc brake conversion on back 14BFFand 92 Chev 1 ton master cylinder and K5 stock proportioning valve. Braking is excellent with very good modulation and "pedal feel". Much better braking then stock.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Its still the stock Hydorboost. Many moons ago I had one of those wretched 6.2 diesels (see sig.). Chevy put the Hydorboost on a lot of stuff, usually the heavier vehicles. We used to have an '84 Caprice wagon with a 305 and hydroboost. When buying the masters, I just told the parts counter guy I had an '83 3/4 ton diesel, then a 1 ton.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd