Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Braking problems - big pull!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by switlikbob, Sep 12, 2004.

1. switlikbob

switlikbob Newbie

Hi there...I am at my wits end with a braking problem on my '87 K5 Blazer 4x4. It was pulling all over the place while hard braking over 35 MPH. I replaced the power steering box and got it aligned. That stopped it from pulling inconsistently. Now it only pulls to the right, but very hard. Yesteday, I replaced the front calipers and pads. I am going to replace the front rotors as well. I did test drive it on the highway after the brake job, and the alignment is out agian (pulling to the right slightly). Any ideas of what my problem might be? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds like you may have some worn out parts in the front. When the shop aligned the sucker did they do a thorough check of your front end parts? Worn tie-rod ends, ball joints, or draglink can lead to wandering or pulling when braking.

And this may be hard to believe, but poorly adjusted REAR brakes can also cause the front end to dive one way or another when braking hard.

Welcome to CK5, brother. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

also check you brake lines for any small leaks even a small leak will make it pull to one side start on the opposite side the truck is pulling to /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

my truck tends to jog all over the place on hard brakes or if the brakes get hot (hard stop for stopped traffic then stop & go) Itll pull left this time, then right, then will be fine, then left or right, yadda yadda. Then it will be fine for a few days.....I know I need a new steering box, trying to get the $$ for that, then im going to be doing pads & possibly calipers.

On to your problem. Does your truck exhibit alot of nose dive? Ive HEARD that the front rear steering setup on these trucks, combined w/ a diving nose, will cause the wheels to actually turn to the right.

5. switlikbob

switlikbob Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I am thinking that there are somekind of warn front end parts due to the alignment going out after simply replacing calipers and pads...I did have the rear drums & shoes looked at and allegedly adjusted, but I can't be sure if was done correctly. The guys who aligned my truck are good, but I doubt they really inspected everything...I am going to take it back to them and have them inspect the entire front and hopefully fix this problem...as far as the truck nose diving, I really don't think it dives bad, but I never owned another K5 to be able to tell the difference...I am going to have the shop do my rotors, since I have no idea of how to take the locking hubs apart, and I honestly don't want to try...so when they have all that apart, they might be able to get a better idea of what is goign on in the front...I didn't check the brake lines, but when I bled the lines, i didn't see an noticeable leakage anywhere...hey k20, my truck was doing the same thing...until I replaced the steering box...my box soct me $210 + core...any other feedback is appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif