Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brand New Diesel Problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, May 4, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My tow rig is an '04 Super Duty with a 6.0 Powerstroke (my dad's actually, but that's a long story) I drive the truck as much as he does and baby the hell out of it. I put an EGT and boost gauge in it to monitor everything and keep it safe. We've had big problems with this truck. First off, the planetary gearset for reverse wasn't manufactured properly, allowing a pin to walk out and releasing metal shavings into a brand new transmission. Ford refused to give us a new one. They installed a new gearset, new seals, flushed it and called it good.

My latest problem is that we were hunting down in Kansas, I make a left hand turn and the truck flat out kills. A 1 ton crew cab is kind of a bitch to stop or steer without power to a power brake and steering system, so I'm a little upset. I flip it in neutral, it fires back up, and we go on our merry way. I'm running the scenario through my head and the only thing I can think of is that the injectors all slammed shut simultaneously. When we get home, I go into the dealer and raise hell. (their service department sucks so that's kinda what it takes for things to get done) A mechanic overhears this and tells me it's probably the cam position sensor. I know hardly anything about the internals of this engine, but figure that it's a logical diagnosis. He went on to explain that he's seen this happen twice, the sensor fails momentarily, and since the engine can't figure out the position of it's own cam, it shuts itself off to prevent damage.

I get home from work today and my dad says that the dealer called him this morning and asked:

#1. Did the truck have a chip?
    #2. Was it left to idle for long periods?
    #3. Have we messed with the EGR valve?

Then goes on to tell him that they're putting in a new EGR valve since the old one was completely clogged and ordering parts for the turbocharger. Just a reminder, this truck has 10,500 miles on it.

The only possible explanations I can think of that would cause him to ask those questions mean BIG problems with the engine itself. I know that the impeller on the turbo isn't melted since I installed the EGT pyrometer in the exhaust manifold and keep a close eye on it. This leaves only the possibility that something ran through the turbo, metal shavings, chunks of soot, I have no idea. However, the boost levels haven't gone down at all. They're still like the day I put the probe in.

I'm going in tomorrow to talk to a mechanic and see what the hell is going on, but does anyone have any good ideas? This truck cost more than the rest of our vehicles are worth, it's his business truck so he needs it to run to satellites almost every day and I need it to pull with. I hope there's something obvious I'm overlooking but I really don't think so.

Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any bright ideas or similar experiences, please spill them for my sanity's sake.

2. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 04 6.0 4wd Excursion....I feel your pain...lots of talk at the www.dieselstop.com and also superdiesel.com. Sounds like your dealer is trying to protect itself.....egr is a common problem also. Turbo parts....ehhh..thats no good.

3. mikey_d05

Yeah, I know just enough about the engine to be dangerous, I just posted up at ford-trucks and am probably going to at other places. The problem with this arrangement is that my dad is ignorant about vehicles and motors, but he's the owner. So of course the dealer calls him and practically refuses to deal with me because I actually know the repercussions of the crap they're tearing into....grrrrrrrrr :mad:

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Friend at work has an 04 F-250 and he has already put 2 turbos in it and an EGR in 8 months. His dad works for Ford and he says they are burning turbos up due to heavy sooting cause the computer is not getting acurate info due to various sensors failing so it runs rich alot.

5. mikey_d05

That was pretty much my guess. It sounds like they're trying to cover their @sses until they can get a new flash (which is supposed to be coming in the next week or two) and fix it for good.

6. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

They come out with new flashes just about every time I get a oil change...seriously.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I thought about getting one until I heard all of these issues they were having with them. My friend has not gotten more than 10 MPG with his due to the turbo issues and he has about 15000 miles on it already. I think I am going to go with a duramax and allison even though they have IFS. It is a lot of money to put down on a vehicle and it is going to be my DD.

8. mikey_d05

Well, I was the one that steered my dad in the direction of Furd (unfortunately) because I talked to three guys who haul trailers for a living with diesels, and all of them wanted to drive their d-max off a cliff. Dodge didn't offer a REAL crew cab at the time and Ford was getting pretty decent reviews with the powerstroke. Looks like I shoulda just told him to buy a gasser and dealt with it.

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

38,000 happy miles with mine...its a 04 with the 6.0l.......juist have to remember that when you sell as many trucks as the big 3 do...your going to hear mostly about the bad ones more than the good ones.