Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brand new to forums - any tips for a newbie?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FlatBlackBurb, Mar 24, 2007.

1. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

hey everyone, my friend "lochenjons" has been raving about how great of a resource this site is for anyone with a chevy made in the good ol' days. i've never taken the time to check it out because... i didn't own a chevy. i spent all of my time in the cadillac forums trying to fix up my daily driver. now that that's done, i bought a 1987 chevy suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 for $600 bucks 3 days ago and I have a couple of questions. I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to under the hood and technical stuff, but hey. you gotta start somewhere right?

so the burb is in pretty decent shape:
    here's what it looked like before paint:
    [​IMG]

here's what it looks like now:
    [​IMG]

a little surface rust but that wasn't the problem. okay well anyway:

the brakes are complete crap. they work but you have to push them all the way to the floor for it to really do anything. I'm taking the boost & master cylinder out of a '78 chevy parts truck and replacing the one in the burb with that. should solve that problem.

the tilt wheel steering is way messed up. the steering wheel moves all around and you have to push it up to shift. i looked up a fix on this site and i'm going to plan to fix it as soon as i have time. also the steering is a little sketch. if youre driving in a straight line, itll weave side to side a little bit sometimes. no big deal I can live with that, but i would like to fix it sometime...

the driver's window doesn't roll down. bad motor? bad connections? bad switch? i'm going to take the door panel off and mess around with it for a while and see if that does anything. if not then i'll try and swap a window motor and see if that works.

tried to smog it - failed. the engine is idling too high the guy said. the timing is 5 degrees off so i'm gonna talk to my neighbor tomorrow and see if he's got a timing light and check it out with him. i know it'll pass smog, because i have a smog test report from a month or so ago and it passed everything... it's only been driven about 300 miles since then.

problem that arose today:

the brake light won't go off on the dash. the red light just stays on and the parking brake is off. it turned on when we were trying to bleed the breaks and hasn't gone off since. i didn't even touch the parking brake when it went on. any ideas as to what's up?

also... i'm going to lift it 4'' when i get the chance. any reccomendations for a cheap lift?

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

the proportioning valve is out of center, and the red light is on because of that. if you had a rear brake line brake, and stepped on the brakes, the proportioning valve would move to one side because of the pressure differential. which turns the light on so you know there is a problem.

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Smog places are all differeent, some more shady than others. Try taking it back to the shop that gave it a smog certificate before.

4. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

5. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

oh i know about that already. come over to my house and let's fix it