Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

brass filings in tranny pan

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4Freak, Nov 25, 2002.

1. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

A couple months ago I pulled the pan on my TH350 after it started making noise and lost power. I found clutch material (no biggie, was expecting that) and brass filings. One night when I was driving home after doin about 90, the tranny started making a howling noise in gear when I stopped. It also doesnt hardly want to go until about 1700 rpm then it just takes off like normal. It stopped making the noise after a few days, I think it finally wore whatever it was down.

My question is what could the filings be from? Is it something that might come in a rebuild kit or be cheap to replace otherwise? I plan to rebuild it sometime soon and I was wondering if I should find another tranny and rebuild it instead.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Probably a bushing dying, (assuming it doesn't go so far it hurts the case) it can be replaced during an overhaul.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are a series of bushings on the main input shaft. If your down to spitting copper into the pan then you probably have enough damage that you'll have to replace some of the larger components where the race is machined into them. I had this happen not too long ago, the basic $99 rebuild kit does not include those parts unfortunately. Its a good time to start thinking about a steel drum assembly with larger a capacity clutch pack and heavy duty sprag, if you think you might be adding some power to the engine later on (or under gearing it now). A TH400 is a step up, but the TH350 has a lower first gear so it can make sense to beef it out.. food for thought!

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks. That makes me feel a little better, sort of.

I've already rebuilt the engine and its putting out about 350hp, but after I replace the heads and go FI I hope to be putting out about 400. I also plan to go to 4.10 gears.

I may just get another tranny anyway just so I can still drive the truck while I'm rebuilding it.