Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brave, Dedicated or just plain stupid?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GadgetK5, Sep 16, 2002.

1. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

I have an '83 Blazer (350, 700R4, NP208) that I purchased a few years ago for what I thought was a pretty good price. About a year ago I had to pull it off the road to do some major work to it; it had a blown head gasket, the 700R4 wouldn't shift past 2nd and the transfer case would pop out of low, just to name a few things.

So, I am simultaneously rebuilding the Engine, Transmission and Transfer Case myself. Also, I'm stripping the interior and using Line-X or Rhino throughout and changing the interior and exterior color.

My question is: Am I being brave for undertaking such an endeavor, am I just dedicated to my Blazer, or am I really being stupid sinking this much money into it?

I am attempting to document some if the things I'm doing, and I'd like to hear suggestions and feedback about the decisions I'm making. Here's a more detailed list of what I plan on doing:

* Rebuild 350
    * Purchase new / rebuilt heads and possible intake
    * Investigate converting to TBI (must stay legal in Calif)
    * Rebuild 700-R4 (Manual and video are on their way!)
    * Fix NP208 (Overhaul kit and fork pads are on their way)
    * Sandblast undercarriage and cover with POR-15
    * Sandblast engine compartment and either paint or cover with POR-15
    * Sandblast interior floor and cover with Line-X

The rest I think I'll save until after I get this beast back on the road!

2. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Man, thats dedication.
    Just think you'll be driving an almost new suv for a fraction of the price you could buy a new POS for.
    Check out my pics below,I'm in the same boat. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    or am I really being stupid sinking this much money into it

[/ QUOTE ] Not even close. I have that label covered completely, all by myself. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Just have fun with it and do what you want.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I tell most everyone who is rebuilding 350's to look into building a 383 stroker. For just a few bucks more, I think it's a good thing in a 4x4, it'll give ya more torque. It's your truck, so the final say is yours. Just thought I'd mention it.

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

spraying line-x on the floors will be sharp. be warned it will cost a pretty penny. To spray the floor in my suburban, all the way from the rear doors to the firewall will cost me about 800 bucks. And thats striping the interor and sandblasting it myself.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Poster: Skigirl
    Subject: Re: Brave, Dedicated or just plain stupid?

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or am I really being stupid sinking this much money into it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not even close. I have that label covered completely, all by myself.

I don't know skigirl, I think Greg72 might be giving you a run for the money here. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Gadget, one comment in response to POR15, as a recently set up distributor for the product I thought it would be important to point out that when using POR15 you don't want to have bare metal. Just knock off the flakes w/ a wire brush wheel, or similar, and do clean off any paint. POR15 uses the moisture and chemical makeup of the rust to harden, and it forms a better bond with the metal that way.FYI.
    Ressurection.

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Save yourself a few hundred bucks and use Herculiner, for a hundred bucks you get the same thing, you just do it yourself. Plus the best part is getting stoned in the process off the fumes /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No your being an addic just like the rest of us knuckle heads /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I bought my 75 Jimmy for ONE US DOLLAR. I drove it home and it spent the next year in peices on my driveway. The Dollar didn't include floors. Tranny was blown front axle carrier bearing were toast. I have been through everything but the engine.
    There are plenty of people on here that probably have $20k in their trucks. I know folks that have $40k in jeeps It's impressive, Warn coil, OX front and rear, D44 front and rear lots of custom work. Just seeing it in the parking lot you wouldn't think it was as built as it is. Built jeep . So no I don't think your nuts at all /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Welcome to CK5!

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's too bad. $40,000 and all they have is a Jeep.

But back to Gadget's oringinal question: this website is more slanted toward rebuilding K-5's than anyplace else, so keep in mind that everyone here is biased.

My personal opinion is that it is worth it to build it up right so that it will last. That lets you enjoy it for many years without laying down $45K for something that doesn't wheel as well or get any better gas mileage. More power to ya.

11. Grim-Reaper

You couldn't follow that jeep I can guarnatee it. There is only a few truck on here that could and they would probably take some sever hits along the way. I won't even atemt to follow him some places. I should clarify that $20k was the original purchace price of the jeep. He bought it new.
    That picture I believe is lower two at Tellico. It's probably the hardest trail there.

12. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

Thanks for all the encouragement!

I just got off the phone with the shop that's grinding the crank and find out that it IS a 383! I had no idea it had already been rebuilt until he mentioned it to me last week (pistons are already .40 over and don't need replacing).

Anywhere I can save a dollar!

13. Grim-Reaper

Ya got to love finding something like that!