Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Break away kit on a goosneck?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

is it advised? or would it even have a use? this is my blazer and other people lives we are talking about here. is it even do-able....
    thanks.
    Grant

2. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Yeah, mine has one. I'm all over the trailer safety thing. I've had a couple close calls, and it'll take the fun right out of your trip. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Don't forget the safety chains, and have enough (tow) truck for the job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

i know i have enough truck for the job. im not worried about that. in the end, once the blazer is done with a second vehicle on the back of the trailer, i will be maxed out. but once i replace the 454 with the 502 and a supercharger all will be fine. granted thats a year down the road. but i will be light until then.
    Grant

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

All a break-away kit does is activate the trailer brakes if it seperates from the truck....so I don't see why it wouldn't work on a gooseneck setup. A lot of states require a breakaway kit by law.

Regarding your comments on engines, power really has nothing to do with the truck being able to pull the load safely. Having proper brakes and safe handling are way more important.

5. Seventy4Blazer

you are correct about the brakes and what not. the brakes have been upgraded a bit on this truck already. along with the trailer having dual braking axles. along with the sway bars being beefed up a bit.
    thanks for the concern though.
    Grant

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Grant, I have a break away on my gooseneck trailer. Just make sure you use a good quality battery for it and keep it charged up. I have mine wired trough an interupt switch so it does not overcharge on long trips. Most people have them wired directly to a hotwire from the pigtail (like mine) but do not have an interupt switch on it which can overheat and destroy, possible cause the battery to explode or catch fire. I replaced the little lawn tractor pos with a good motorcycle battery and all is well.

John

7. Seventy4Blazer

John, thanks for the input,
    the kit im looking at has a trickle charger on it. and the brake system im getting is progressive style. this way i can also adjust the brakes for the weight.
    its an all new system goin onto the truck. trailer brake control unit, hitch, trailer, break away kit. all for about 4500 or so. 24 foot 12klbs trailer with dual braking axles, ramps and bearing buddies.
    i just have to get my house sold and then ill buy it all.
    Grant

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Grant,
    Beware of bearing buddies. They are a short term fix. You still need to hand pack the bearings. The grease does not sufficiently reach the inner bearings.
    Thee are some axles like I have on mine that have been drilled out, a grease fitting installed on the end, and a hole drilled into the spindle under each bearing. All you do is pull the end cap off and grease the zirk up and it evenly greases both bearings. (inner and outer).

John

9. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, i have been told that. im a grease freak. i even greased my 14 bolt bearings. was it needed? i really doubt it. but its got it.

anyhow, now i just have to unload the house....
    soon...
    Grant