Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

break away kit

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by CK5, Oct 30, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What's a break away kit and how does it work? I assume it has something to do with the brakes?

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

It is a cable that is hooked to a fixed point on your tow rig from the toungue of the trailer. If they trailer ever "breaks away" from the tow vehicle, it will pull a switch that locks up the trailer brakes.....so your trailer doesnt play pinball with other cars on the road /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    THis is the last chance. Your saftey chains would have to let loose first.

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, that pretty much covers it. Most of them look like this one here. Only other thing is to make sure you get a charger with it. Mine didn't come with one, and running a constant 12 volts to the battery will kill it fast.

BIGJ

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Only other thing is to make sure you get a charger with it. Mine didn't come with one, and running a constant 12 volts to the battery will kill it fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Tekonsha has a special setup that wires directly into your brake controller harness that automatically charges your breakaway battery while you drive. Keep in mind that during long periods of non-use(like during the winter), you should be charging your battery from time to time.

On a TT there's no need to worry because the breakaway switch is wired into the deep-cycle battery, which is(hopefully) gonna be charged up before you leave.

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, tekonsha sells exactly what you're talking about. You wire in the brakeaway using the factory 7 pin plug that includes the charging wire.

I made the mistake of buying mine from a local vendor, and they didn't sell the chargers. Mine didn't come with one of these. After the last battery was overcharged during a day of towing, I bought the model 2024 and have had no problems since.

BIGJ