Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Break Check Light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trogdor4x4, Aug 25, 2004.

1. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

The light on my dash that lights up when the emergency brake is on and the emergency brake is not activated. when I do activate the brake the light lights up even more. There is no evidence that the brakes are rubbing, that I can tell. What things could it be or what could I check?

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Disconect your battery for a few min. and see if the light goes out when you hook it up again /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Almost sounds like the e-brake switch is screwed up.

Never heard of a brake light that used varying voltage to indicate something. On/off, yes, but not varying voltage which is what you are seeing.

You could probably unplug the switch and see what happens. Believe the light should come on with it disconnected. Just follow the e-brake pedal up to near where the cable connects, should be a single wire and a connector. Been probably 5+ years since I've looked at one, but I think the wire for mine is brown.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Hows your brake pedal feel? Is it soft and mushy, or normal? I had the brake light come on when I had a bad brake cylinder in the rear, the brake light can be activated via the proportioning valve. You can try unplugging the wire from the prop valve and see if it goes off.

5. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

check 4 play in the E cable???
    the peddel take it and force it up by hand
    does the light go out???

6. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

i'd venture to say the little switch is sticking in just enough to make it arc some current - hence the light being on and when the e-brake is engaged, pushes the switch so it makes full contact (more current) The switch for the dome light in my door was doing that on a diff. vehicle i had, i pulled the switch out and worked a tad of WD40 so the switch freed up. Worked perfect after that.

7. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

When I first noticed it the pedal seemed a little stiffer and it would stop abruptly when applying the brake at slow speeds (like slowing for a stop light). That is the only difference in the feeling. I don't notice the stopping like that anymore. It has been two weeks.

I will try all of the suggestions and keep them coming.
    Thanks