Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

break in engine with straight headers..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jun 26, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

would it be ok to break my engine in with just headers and collectors?? no pipes or mufflers?

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Break in.

Sure, Why not? Unless you don't want to piss of the neighbors, otherwise you're not going to hurt anything.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive done it a few times and all are still running with no problems.

the first time im surprised the cops didn't show up, all the neighbors were looking out the windows to see what all the ruckus was. the second time i did it in my friends barn, BIG mistake, couldn't hear anything for 2 hours afterword.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Broke mine in on open headers with two dead cylinders (dizzy cap was busted) hot dang did that thing ever make a lotta noise :D It would occasionally backfire because of how rich it was, when it did so, it shot flames a good 5 feet back and let off a bang that hurt my head through my double hearing protection :D When it wasn't backfiring, it'd have flames 3 feet long coming outta each header, the collectors were glowing like cherries by the time I finished. Engine runs real good now with the EFI :D

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Have something to stick in the collectors when you shut it down to keep cold air from traveling back up them and warping your exhaust valves. Other than that it should be fine. And as said above it's loud so maybe use ear plugs too. ;)

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

If the engine by chance has a problem, can be hard to tell with open headers. The exhaust noise will make it very hard to hear the engine. Keep that in mind.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are these new coated or painted headers? Hedman and I'm sure most others that sell painted or coated headers state that breaking in an engine on headers will void the warranty.

I can offer my experience up as proof that the heat from break in will most certainly affect the header coating. Even though I started it with manifolds, I didn't wait long enough to swap, and the glowing headers/discoloration proved that.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cold air ? The coolest day this week is probably gonna be 107 , with humidity ;)