Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Break in for ring and pinion, and locker question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisel, Feb 17, 2003.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I've heard there is a break in procedure for a new ring and pinion which consists of moderatly driving for 20 min, then letting the gears cool. Then driving easy for the first 200 miles. Is this needed? Would putting a locker in right away strain the gears too much as to stop them from breaking in properly? And just for clarification, a locker such as powertrax lock right, replaces the spider and side gears, right?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I broke my rear gears in I just did city driving. I would drive about 20 minutes to whereever I was going and then stop. They would usually have time to cool off and then I would do it again. I also did some freeway driving at 70 MPH for like 30 minutes, then let cool off. I changed my gear oil and cleaned out my diff at 500 miles (broke them in with cheap Coastal 80W-140 gear oil). I put in new gear oil (Redline Shockproof Heavy Synthetic) at the 500 mile mark and have been fine so far. I drove 1000 miles in 2 days on that rearend about 1.5 months ago. I had about 2000 miles tops on the rearend when I did that, and no prob.

As for the locker thing. I have driven every mile on my rearend with the spider gears welded up. I would break in the locker at the same time I broke in the gears. Most people do.

Harley

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Breaking in teh gears is required. It finishes the machining and heat treating of the gears. Racers use high nickel gears that don't need breaking in but they don't really look for longevity either.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was told.....

Drive-it for about 2 miles....then check for heat....
    Let it cool....for 1/2 hour...
    Drive-it for 20 minutes....
    Let it cool again...
    Then if temp and fluid seems normal....run-it!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The main reason for break-in is....
    Braking in the Bearings...if you jump on it...you can BURN them up!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

So A Locker won't hurt anything at all....
    that's how I did mine... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Cool, because I shattered my spiders when my rear end went out. Now I want to go to a locker and didn't want to buy new spiders. Thanks again all! Cool, Cool, Cool, I can't wait for it to be back under the truck!!!!!1