Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Break-in New Engine?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

I know I have seen it before on this site and I cant seem to find it under search. I need the steps on breaking in a new motor. Step by Step. Thanks.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

RECOMMENDED CRATE ENGINE START-UP PROCEDURE
    Check

1. SAFETY FIRST! If the car is on the ground, be sure the emergency brake is set, the wheels are chocked, and the transmission cannot fall into gear.

2. Be sure to check the oil level in the engine and prime the oil system

3. Run the engine between 2,000 and 2,500 RPMs, with no-load on the engine for the first 30 min.

4. Adjust the distributor timing roughly by hand for a quick start up and smoothest idle possible.

5. Adjust the carburetor settings, if necessary.

6. After the first 30 minutes of the engine running, set the ignition timing (see install ignition section for timing specifications).

7. Drive the vehicle with varying speeds and loads on the engine for the first 30 miles. Be sure not to use a lot of throttle or high RPM.

8. Run five or six medium-throttle accelerations to about 5,000 RPM (55 to 60 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

9. Run a couple hard-throttle accelerations up to about 5000 RPM (55 to 60 MPH), then letting off in gear and coasting back down to 20 MPH.

10. Change the oil and filter with 10w30SG oil and PF1218 AC Delco oil filter (PN 251605610

11. Drive the next 500 miles normally, without high RPM's (below 5,000 RPM), hard use, or extended periods of high loading.

12. Change the oil and oil filter again.

13. Your engine is now ready for many happy cruising miles!

Boss

The Boss now allows you to visit his site
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I would recommend priming the oil, make sure that you have water (or antifreeze mix) in the radiator, all hoses, belts, etc., secured and tight, and double check anything that you might have forgotten, before you fire it up for the first time. Other than that "Boss" pretty much has it covered. I forgot to connect my oil pressure guage one time, and it sprayed oil everywhere. I would also have the distributor hold-down bolt snug (not tight), just snug enough so that you can turn it by hand and it will not move by itself, so you can make minor adjustments if it is not running correctly. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

no kidding man me and dad just did that oil pressure guage thing yesterday, the engine was witting on teh crate watinging to be installed and we started priming it with the drill and we look over and its shooting oil clear to teh other side of the shop, at least i know teh oil pump works!

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would keep it under 70-75 mph on the highway for the first 500 miles.

[​IMG] Sept 1

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

You should keep a set of spark-plugs in the truck with you just incase. They will foul upp untill the new rings seal in proparly. Expect this to take 2-3 months depending.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com