Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Break Lights stay on?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dave'90K5, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

Anyone every have this problem? My break lights stay on even if I turn the truck off and remove my foot from the pedal. It seems as though the pedal is sagging and hitting the sensor to turn on the lights. Could this be a bad neutral safety switch or??? Any thoughts??

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jun 23, 2000
    Dave, the switch is set up so the lights come on when you push the pedal down. If your lights arn't turning off, your pedal isn't returning high enough to hit the switch that turns them off.

Just crawl under the dash, and shove the switch down closer to the brake pedal, and you should be good to go :)
  3. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

Does this mean that the switch is on some sort of rod that will allow it to move up of down depending on the pedal adjustment? When I looked under the dash I didn't see a switch touching the pedal? However I not sure of what I was looking for either????
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    It's a white piece of plastic, wires into the back of it. It's "ribbed" (look like threads, but aren't) and is held in place by spring pressure from a small metal clip. You just push or pull and it will move. You want it adjusted perfectly, otherwise with light pedal pressure and so on, it may not come on.

Might be two, IIRC both TCC and cruise would necessitate one additional switch on top of the always present brake one.
  5. bigjimmy82

bigjimmy82 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dec 9, 2005
    in my 82 it was a cheesy plastic switch and it is in front of the pedal, when the pedal contacts it the button it is depressed and no lights --- push pedal down and button pops out and lights come on. Mine was sticking and delaying the brake lights, I would it hit the pedal and then hear a click(the switch poping up) about five seconds later, not great for people behind me, a new one was ~$7 and installed in no time!
  6. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

Thanks... Now That I know what I'm looking for I will check it out tonight when I get home from work....
  7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Feb 18, 2005
    Does the switch push on a piece of metal, or is there a plastic plug in a hole in the pedal that pushes it? The plastic plug may have fallen out. The switch shaft may be broken.