Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

break the rules and you get stuck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Oct 18, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Well well well....arent I a smart guy..went looking for mud and found it..and trouble. Got stuck in lake bed gumbo @ 9 o'clock Sat night...didnt get rescued till 5 sun. morning.....froze my ass off, used seat covers as sleeping bag..luckily had gas to keep the heater working..fiberglass and big ass windows dont hold heat in very well do they? :)..general family consensus..I'm a dumb ass and should have learned from my fathers stories... hehehe...bought tow hooks for the front....where and how/ the best place to mount without bending frame??......the sad part is i got pulled out by a Yota.....maybe I'll keep mine now...

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Ooooohhhh, I feel for ya man, that sucks [​IMG].
    Stories like these is why I never go out wheelin' in the country by myself. Always with another truck.

Glad you eventually got out!

I'm going to get some tow hook and have already picked a place out. I'm going to weld them right to the frame under the bumper. Should be fine there.

Good luck,

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

3. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I saw in performance products catalog that someone makes a tow hook that slides into the reciever hitch.....has anyone ever used these...fairly cheap too...might get one...

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have one and there great, it is called a receiver shackle, Warn makes them as well.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I just wasted 30 minutes of my life getting unstuck. Unfortunely(sp?), I was yanked out by a f**d[​IMG]. I got stuck not using any common sense, but it was fun!

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

6. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

This site has some good looking stuff (can't recommend it personally yet). Guess where I got the address from???? Here of course!
    http://www.recoverygear.com/

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

7. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

what about self recovery products....like a come along??...something that would work until i can get a winch...anyone know whats good?

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A hi lift works nicer than a come along. And Hi Lifts are only about $40! Dont use straps with Hi Lifts though, they stretch too much, use chains!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

10. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Get the early stock towhooks(forged) bolt right on the front but ya might have to trim air dam.(there everywhere at the bone yard)Get the warn receiver shakle for rear.(But pay $110)And don't forget to wash that gumbo out of the brakes or the guide pins freeze up!

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have a 4 ton come-along. Works great, if there's a tree or some other recovery point nearby. I got it at Harbor Freight for 30 bucks.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Squash, cool hook.
    Thomas, you might want to rethink that idea about welding your tow hooks to the frame. The best way to attach them is to use Grade 8 fasteners. I trust welded tow hooks about as much as I trust tow balls.
    You can get around Warn's price by using a standard, straight (no drop) Class 5 insert. They have a 1" hole so you can fit a larger shackel than what comes with the Warn set up. Also, Warn's are made in China. The ones at Lowes are made in the USA.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I feel for ya man. I buried my Blaze up to the frame rails one time. Luckily there was harder mud about 6 feet behind us so we just gave it gas and rocked the thing until it eventually worked its way out. I'm not too crazy about going alone anymore. As for the tow hooks, I'd bolt them on. A buddy of mine had them welded on his 87 K5 and got buried once. He was so deep that the truck pulling him out pulled the hooks right off. The chain flew through the back window of the other rig. Luckily the guy wasn't hurt.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

14. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Mike (and other experts[​IMG]), I know this is a stupid question, but how do you use a hi-lift for recovery? If it replaces a come-along then it not the way I thought.
    Thanks.

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]

15. Emmettology 101

You would hook the top of the jack to a chain or treesaver around a tree or staionary object. The hook a chain to the vehicle and then to the jack lip(what you would normally put on the buper or lifting point. MAKE SURE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE SECURE!! Then operate the jack like mormal pull the jack lip towards the top of the jack. It wont be easy and sometimes requires two or more people, but it works great!!!

I have done this many times before I bought my winch!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

16. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I know these are some picky, detailed, retarded questions, but how in the world do you hook the top of the jack to a tree. Or I guess how do you hook it up to a tree-saver/strap/chain? [​IMG]

17. Emmettology 101

There is a shackle type hook on the top. You hook a chain through that and then top a tree.

No prb on the questions, ask as many as you like! :)

Mike [​IMG]

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Maybe this will help:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hey BlazerGuy, where'd you get those pics? They look like some I see in New Zealand 4WD magazine? Just curious.

I agree on the tow hooks and recovery gear stuff. I was out 'wheeling today with my buddy in his BRONCO. Well, I blasted through this mud pit/pond. He followed me, and sucked a bunch of water into his engine through the air intake (what where the Ford designers thinking with this design.....oh wait.....nevermind...[​IMG]...). So I had to splosh around in knee deep COLD water trying to attach a tow strap to a set of tow hooks that guess what? Weren't there. So we ended up putting the strap around the bumper. Not fun, wasted 6 hours of my day, I got certain parts of me that don't respond well to cold very COLD, and his engine is down for the count.
    I can also attest to the use of Warn's 2" trailer reciever shackle do-em-ahickey. I have one, and it got put to good use today and is in exactly the same shape as it was this morning before I left. I just leave mine in the receiver. Looks cooler than one of those little chrome cover thingies.[​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

20. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pic, that cleared it up a lot. I have never seen a hi-lift with a shackle on top. I need to get a hitch receiver shackle and probably a hi-lift soon.

And I don't know AJM, i have a pretty hype aluminum bowtie that says Blazer in my hitch receiver right now [​IMG].