Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Breaking bolts in my D44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bugspray, Mar 16, 2004.

1. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Well it was my axle shaft that broke. I've got everything back together, except I need to know the ft #'s on the bolts that hold the carrier (The bearing caps). A friend that just got done redoing the axle seals on his truck said that those bolts call for 75-100 ft #'s. When the first bolt broke, we assumed the bolt was already cracked, so I went and got new 7/16 grade 8 bolts, all 4. When I went to redo it, I set the wrench at 60 first, did the bottom one, and thought it was the wrench doing it's job, so I went to the top. When it broke, the bearing cap fell off, and I realized both snapped. Never lend out your book! I'm going to have to give up on getting mine back, and get a new one, but in the meantime, anyone know the foot lbs it calls for? My other thought is the bolt is too long. I got the same size as the old one though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A grade 8 bolt that big should NOT break a 75 ft lbs, but that is probably too much torque anyway.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

85 ft-lbs is what my factory manual calls out for the D44 Bearings caps.

4. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'm lost. I didn't figure they would break either. If it calls for 85#'s, and I'm breaking them at less (2 different torque wrenches) than that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

For what it's worth I don't think those bolts are just "regular grade 8". I would look into getting some GOOD bolts to replace them with!

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yup, they have a special shank and shoulder !
    But still something is not right