Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Breaking Brake Lines, suggestions please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wildbilzrydn, Sep 15, 2005.

1. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

My '72 K5 needs a master cylinder. I just know its gonna be a pain in the ass. It's got these little curved lines that go between the M/C and the proportioning valve, and whats even worse its got a flimsy sheetmetal bracket supporting that. I just know the particular lines are original to the truck and there gonna be stuck and i'm going to be snapping them little lines like twigs.
    Can I put a torch on these to break 'em loose? ( not like red hot or anything) Will that work? I don't like using WD40 or penetrating oil on brass pipe fittings, I think even with a flare wrench I'd round off the corners.
    Thanks for the help.

Bill

2. 70chevybob

70chevybob Registered Member

Use a good Brake line wrench and it should break free. make sure not to round off the fittings. I would not recomend heating up the brake lines at all. Because brake fluid is very flamable. I would hate you to have to call the firedept. because you torched a classic. If you do per chance brake one of the small brake lines Check out inlinetube.com they can hook you up with exactly what you need. I Started with a 70c104x4 with all drum brakes and no power booster. Now I have a c20booster and all disc. stop on a dime. Also If you look in the Forums there is a section that is totaly dedicated to 67-72 1st gen rigs try a post ther ad see if you get more feedback.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

what's the problem with using oil on them ?

4. wildbilzrydn

I just think it would tend make the wrench slip.

5. wildbilzrydn

I'm more worried about the lines twisting with the fittings, I think every brake line I've ever tried to break loose has come loose, but I've had to replace it because it was stuck in the fitting and twisted.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Give the wrench a nice hit with a hammer. The shock will free it easier than applying pressure to the wrench.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Vicegrips!

8. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

You don't want to risk the oil contaminating the brake fluid when you DO get the fittings to unscrew. Oil and brake fluid DON'T mix!

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

put NEW lines on!!!

Just let them twist off or break if they feel they must!!--I'd rather have new lines if they were 30+ years old anyway..they dont cost too much either..only bummer is some OEM lines have a different fitting on one end,and you have to use an adapter fitting sometimes(or recycle the old fitting and put it on the new line)..

If you MUST salvage the original lines,at the risk of being "flamed" :weld: --I've heated them up plenty of times before--just have to be careful not to go too crazy and get them red hot--keep your garden hose handy just in case..it IS rather risky,I've had one pop and shoot flaming brake fluid on me--not fun.. :doah: :crazy:

When you live where I do,you get real experienced at changing brake,fuel,and tranny lines..lucky to get a few years out of new ones..I notice the OEM lines last a LOT longer than the ones parts stores sell..I hate nothing more than changing brake lines. :( :crazy:

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i agree 100% messin with brakes is no fun