Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

breaking impossible lugnuts loose...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Sep 13, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

having a hell of a time getting lugnuts broken loose on this 78 out here, its got aftermarket direct fit aluminum wheelson it and steel chromed acorn lugnuts alot like the ones at napa and such that you can but that have closed ends.

anyways i been trying with a three foot steel pipe and a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a fourway to get these damn things to break loose and i got someof them but damn some of them are just not coming loose i am literally twisting the four way and its not alight one and it wil break the breaker bar if i try any harder, im using my weight and everything, and nothing is happening.

so i dunno, i need to get these aluminum wheels off the tires on them are just too tall for 2.73 geared half ton, and i want to put my smaller height tires with stock rallies on instead.
    getting pissed and want to beat the [darn] out of something, grrr........... this is how any project no matter how small it is ends up turning out anymore.

again.... i dont know why i even try anymore these days..... damn..

thanks for anything

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: breaking impossible lugnuts lose...

i dont know if you can find one near you... but my air compresser does 650 Ft lbs of tq in reverse. That loosens any nut i need off

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

use a rubber hammer and hit the top of the acorn. Tighten the other lugnuts back up and try removing the tight one again. Then try an impact to jog it loose if you can, if not mark it and drive over to a tire barn or some place and have them use an impact on it. Sears run mine down so tight one time I drove 30 miles back to sears and made them take the damn things off! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Then I had him torque them back on with a torque wrench as he put them back on (me standing about 6 feet away watching!)

Something I found (I knew he had it) but my dad has a 3/4" drive set. I used it and 2' steel bar to take my ubolts loose. NO PROBLEM AT ALL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

If you are carefull not to wreck the rims, you can use a torch to heat the lug nuts up and then try again.
    Expansion of the heat and cool usually works.
    Using a super long cheater will only break the studs off, then you will have more work. Hang in there! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i tried heating htem up with MAOP gas which is supposed ot be hotter than just propane, so hmm.. truck has no engine in it, i wanted to get smaller tires on it so cherry picker doesnt have to lift as high to get engine into the truck, im down to the left rear now, got all three others off, and i threw away the stupid lugnuts that i been removing, am using new napa chrome acorns with the steel rallies im putting on

i dont know what else to try, the only time ive had to take a truck to a shop to have them busted loose was on a 67 C30 dually but on those they are suppposed otbe tighter like this, but not on a half ton!

grrrr......
    im down to three lugnuts that i cannot get busted loose, can jump on the bar all you want and all it does is super flex the four way.

damn.

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont know if you can find one near you... but my air compresser does 650 Ft lbs of tq in reverse. That loosens any nut i need off

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what it seems like its taking to get them off.
    xcuz no way in hell a little 1/2" impact gun is gonna touch these, thats for sure.... and i dont have a 13/16" socket for the 1" drive breaker bar. so hmm...
    ill have to dig i guess.
    actually i could go over there right now and dig and see if theres a socket that may work.

hmmmmmm

thanks

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I do beleive he is talking about a 1/2" impact. Dont underestimate the IR-2131... it will break 1/2ton or car wheel studs all day.

anyways an IR2131 with a steady supply of about 150psi will remove it.

If you're worried about breaking your breaker bar, then I think you need a new breaker bar! my craftsman 18" or 20" or whatever it is, wouldnt break with a cheater pipe.

also if you have to break a stud, i say do it. If they are THAT tight then the threads are probably damaged anyways. Studs are cheap and easy to replace, as long as you arent doing all of them at once /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif oh and next time you put the lugnuts on, use a small amount of anti-seize. you will thank yourself the next time you remove them

mike

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

sorta funny how you havent broken off the lug stud yet /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're worried about breaking your breaker bar, then I think you need a new breaker bar! my craftsman 18" or 20" or whatever it is, wouldnt break with a cheater pipe.

also if you have to break a stud, i say do it. If they are THAT tight then the threads are probably damaged anyways. Studs are cheap and easy to replace, as long as you arent doing all of them at once /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif oh and next time you put the lugnuts on, use a small amount of anti-seize. you will thank yourself the next time you remove them

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think I would have to agree If you haven't broken it yet you are doing good if you have you need new tools /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Eat your Wheaties, and put some back into it....A strong steady pull will do it....

Heard you could stand to beef up a bit /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well.. almost three hours later, finally got the last three broken loose but wasnt easy on the last one, i went up to the garage to find something, anything, that would help break them loose and while i was up there a neighbor kid about 15 years old was out playing basektball alone in the street in front of his house and i know him pretty well since he is son of a guy my stepdad rents a house to, and he said he was bored and he wanted to know what i was doing and i told him trying to get last three lugnuts busted loose on a truck over atmy place and he asked me if i wanted him to help and i was like well i dunno if it will do any good, but he hopped in the car anyways and when we got over here to the truck i stuck the four way on one of the three luhgnuts and the pipe and he jumped on it after running a few steps and ill be damned if it didnt break it loose, then he got on one side of the four way and lifted on that side while i stood on the opposite side and we manged to get that one loose too but the third one... damn,,,,,,,,,
    broke the four way and twop sockets and halfway rounded off the lugnut and we heated up the lugnut twice with the MAP gas and finally got the third one to break loose,

phew.......

damn.

i guess even though i wont ask for help from anyone and always make myself find my own way of doing everything i do around here it did help to have a second hand, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

gladi dont hve a torch around here cuz im sure i would have lit it up and probably ruined studs and the wheel by now from being pissed and fed up

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I do beleive he is talking about a 1/2" impact. Dont underestimate the IR-2131... it will break 1/2ton or car wheel studs all day.

anyways an IR2131 with a steady supply of about 150psi will remove it.

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

i know for a fact it would have broken a 1/2" drive crafstman breaker bar, easy, hell i broke one once just by using one to change balljoints on a ford pickup, it wasnt very old of a sears bar either.

thanks

13. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    am using new napa chrome acorns with the steel rallies im putting on

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are thinking about putting NAPA chrome lugnuts on I would seriously reconsider. I had those on my K5 and the chrome is coming off after about 2yrs. They are made cheap also. They took some of the threads of my lug studs and flattened several other threads in the lug nuts themselves, all with proper torque specs used. I would suggest some McGard's, more expensive but worth the money.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

half a can of liquid wrench... your strongest/biggest socket+extension+breaker bar + a 4' cheater bar. It will either screw off or break off... but either way it WILL come off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's what I'm thinking just break them.