Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

breaking in gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

whats the preferred method? im reinstalling my axles with new 4.56 gears today, front and rear. they are superior gears and have no intstructions.should i break in the front too? maybe with the tcase in 4hi and the hubs unlocked?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check out precision gear.com. IN their tech section they have the proper procedure........ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

will do , thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I believe that it's 500 miles going less than 55mph or so, and no high stress situations, like 4 wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

The funny thing is, that when your vehicle was purchased new from the dealer, nobody had taken the time to break in anything. It was all new just out of the box, and was probably good for at least 150K miles with no service. Doesn't mean you wont feel better if you break it in, just that you don't need to.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The funny thing is, that when your vehicle was purchased new from the dealer, nobody had taken the time to break in anything. It was all new just out of the box, and was probably good for at least 150K miles with no service. Doesn't mean you wont feel better if you break it in, just that you don't need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good dealership will tell you that you need to take it easy on a new vehicle. The chevy dealer back home would tell people that bought new vehicles to stay below 55mph for the first few hundred miles, and to change the oil out at 1500 miles, then 3000 miles after that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There aren't many salesmen that will tell you that, if they even know that information.

Rick

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

A short version of the instructions for our new gears were to drive the vehicle long enough to get the gears warmed up to normal operating temp, about 15 min, and then let them sit till they are cold. DO NOT TOW anything for at least 500 mi.

8. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

OEM gears have been sitting on a shelf for 6 or so months then they are installed in a differential that sits around for a few months, then the unit is installed and the car sits for a few months. Kinda get the idea time is a factor. Plus most owners manuals will tell you to take it easy for the first 500 or so miles. Try to get a warranty out of a gear set you beat on. Bet it won't happen. I can pull the cover off a differential and tell you how it has been driven by the color of the gears and the wear pattern and the smell of the fluid for the first 500 miles. The key to gear life is not to overheat them for the first 500 miles, drive them for 15 to 20 min. and let them cool. I do this twice. I also do not tow for 500 miles or drive hard. Change the fluid and do a pattern check. If all looks good have fun. When you tow you should drive about 15 miles or so and stop. Let the differential completly cool. Do this for the 50 towing miles. This may seem like an unnecessary step but the gears have not had that much pressure applied to them. I have done 20 or so differentials. I had one kid ignore my break in proceedure and burned up a new gear set. When I did the 500 mile inspection the gear set was toast. I take pictures of the pattern so there is no question on how it is set up. He called me a crook and said I ripped him off. His truck was covered with mud so I knew he had been out wheeling. I buttoned up his differential and pushed it off my property. The bottom line is if you don't break them in correctly, sucks to be you. So your idea about not breaking them in is stupid.

9. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    So your idea about not breaking them in is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="blue">It's not my idea, I'm just pointing out that 99.9% of the vehicles on the road are not "broken in correctly" and most never have the rear end even serviced and they get 150K miles out of them no problem. On our race trucks we try to heat cycle them before running them hard, but even that is not always an option. Then we put 640HP through them non-stop turning 37" tires for over 1000 miles.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
    I had one kid ignore my break in proceedure and burned up a new gear set. When I did the 500 mile inspection the gear set was toast. I take pictures of the pattern so there is no question on how it is set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I'm not questioning your ability to setup gears but I doubt that kid put those gears through anything close to what ours go through.

BTW, The American Dental Association recomends that you brush your teeth five times a day for at least two minutes. I won't call you stupid if you don't do it. I don't either.</font>

10. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

11. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Ok I should have picked better words but telling people not to break in something as per a manufactures recommended proceedure is not a good idea. At least you put them thru one heat cycle before hard running. How long do your race differentials last? I bet they don't last 100,000 miles. The idea here is to get some life out of the gear set with minimal problems. Get the idea.