Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

breaking in new engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jishory, May 11, 2005.

1. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

I have heard a few different answers to this question when asking people so i figured id ask ck5. I just built a new 350 (.030 over, .100 dome pistons, world torqer heads and 4x4 cam if it matters) and its swapped into my k5. How should i run it and do oil changes while breaing it in? Is there any thing different for starting it for the first time?

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

make sure you break the cam in the first time you start it. there should be a notice about that with the new cam and lifters. use all season oil, NOT synthetic. i usually change my oil and filter around 500 miles. and use a quality filter not fram or a generic brand. there is a major difference between brands. just watch your gauges and put some miles on it.

3. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

The guy that rebuilt my engine said to break the cam in at 1500-2000 rpms for 20-30 mins with 15W-40 diesel oil in it. Then change the oil (same oil) and run it (no higher than 4000 rpms) for 500 miles and change the oil again. You can use your regular oil. Then run it like you stole it!! He also suggested using an oil filter magnet band.

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

well ive never done the diesel oil part, or heard of it. on my break ins i use 5-30 , but the part of at least 20 min at that rpm is correct. and using a filter with a magnet is ok. if you have the chance you can prime the oil system before start up, i like doing that as well.

5. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Definately prime!! Sorry, I forgot about that. The diesel oil is supposed to have more detergents or something in it. I was just following his instructions so that if anything happened he would still warranty it.

6. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

how would i go about priming the oil pump? cranking it over with no plugs or use the special bit down in the distributor hole?

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Special bit down the distributer hole, which is really the center of a distributer. If its a chevy make sure you still have the outside part of the distributer in or it wont build pressure to the lifters. Kind of confusing how I said that, Chevy's use the housing of the distributer to build pressure to the lifters if its not there the moter will not build it to lifters. So if you buy one no big deal if you build one keep the housing and just grind the teeth off the shaft so it won't contact the cam , or just take them off.

Don't crank it cause the purpose of priming is to get oil in the bearings before the motor turns over.