Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Breaking into politics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 11, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm reading up on some of my district representatives, and I can't help but feel driven to want to become one.
    Reading some of thier bios, some of them are fairly in touch with the community they serve. Not sure about my town rep, who lives in the secluded mansion a half mile away from me (although my mom who lives closer to him and hr neighbors all say he's a nice guy).

So I look at some of the programs they're executing (not meant digitally /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif), and I think, "Wow, that's going to genuinely make a difference in the community without being some corny publicity show like a Washington politician, and it doesn't look like it's really that big a deal for this rep to actually get it done." Stuff like budgeting and crap looks strangely interesting, too.

So how would a 28 year old guy with a full time job in the tech sector and absolutely no formal political or law education go about becoming a baby-kissing, grandstanding, flag waving politician?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hell just run for office. What's the next election in your area? Maybe start out as a Commissioner or other policitally pion job then work your way up to City Council then State Rep then Senator then Vice Prez then President...

Hmmm....it may sound more simple than it actually is....not sure though.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

A lot of politicians start at the grass roots level by just being involved with their own neighborhood. I've been a board member of my neighborhood association for many years. Yes - we DO get things done - and CHANGED if we find something we don't like or find benificial to the entire community. You meet the elected folks and they in turn see what you're all about and what you can do - sometimes for them. As was previously mentioned - you decide on an office that you think you can do some good or that you feel you'd make a difference, then "just do it." Find some people willing to back you - usually the local party - and build a support group from there. It's hard work and time consuming - so be prepared to get little sleep and miss your chidren as they grow up. Of course, it doesn't have to be that way - you make it the way you want it and put in as much or as little time as you feel is necessary.

Me personally - I want to be a United States Senator for one week - then I get ALL of the benifits for the rest of my life. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Your motives are pure, people can tell. You love your country and you communicate well, this is a great start. I really think you belong in AZ instead of NY though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

It's amazing how much can actually get done on a local level that benefits the community. The clowns in washington are nothing more than puppets, having their strings pulled by the lobby groups with the most money, which really in no way can reflect what the majority of americans want.

Good luck to you, I wish you success /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You are running with the Democratic party, right? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Phase one - collect underpants.
    Phase two -
    Phase three - world domination.

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

You have my vote! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm....it may sound more simple than it actually is....not sure though....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Somehow I'm thinking I might not get that far too quick...

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your motives are pure, people can tell. You love your country and you communicate well, this is a great start. I really think you belong in AZ instead of NY though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks... I'm reminded this week that I'm not that into heat... but I sure wouldn't mind being in AZ for some vaca and wheelin'. Maybe if I get elected, I can sponsor a program to reserve 4 wheelin land.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's hard work and time consuming - so be prepared to get little sleep and miss your chidren as they grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where I might fail. I won't put work ahead of my kids, sometimes I think my dad did that way too much with us.
    I'm not looking to get into the Senate, I just think it would rock to be able to tangibly do something to enhance/improve/repair my community. Getting too high in politics, it looks like it's 60% administration, 20% effective service, 20% vacation.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You have my vote! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck to you, I wish you success You are running with the Democratic party, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif But I promise to immediately change my campaign positions and party if elected.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Phase one - collect underpants.
    Phase two -
    Phase three - world domination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still waiting for Micro$oft to call me back... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Am I doing a good job so far? I've responded to all the people that have tried to get in touch with me, and I've kept my name at the top of the list for at least 5 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Sorry guys, I'm just starting to seriously consider this. More than moving, buying a boat, etc, and the other distractions I'd been seeking the past few weeks. I'm wondering if this is a real way I can be a positive participant in my community.
    I'm a "do it right, do it yourself" and instant results person, I don't have the patience to vote for a candidate and wait for the results, lose focus on the issue waiting so long.

I'll have to go through all my posts and make sure I haven't said anything legally insane before running though...

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll have to go through all my posts and make sure I haven't said anything legally insane before running though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can prove you legally insane with the following quote...

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm reading up on some of my district representatives, and I can't help but feel driven to want to become one.

[/ QUOTE ]