Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Breaking U-joints...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jester, Jun 1, 2004.

1. jester

jester Registered Member

This is the second time in a month that the front U-joint on my rear drive shaft has broke, the one that goes into the transfer case. I replace it last time it broke took it out four-wheeling and drove it all over town without a single incident, but then the other night I was driving to a friends house just along the highway and it just snapped all of the sudden. Here are some pics of the carnage. Anyone have any idea what would cause it to break?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can't see the pic's what your angle like on the joint?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you are breaking u joints it is likely due to binding.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your profile doesn't list anything like type of lift etc. I did a shackle flip and the u-joint on front of rear shaft had a real severe angle. Some members with blocks , or springs have problems, while others don't . Some people lower their transfercase, others (like me) run a CV shaft. Could you feel any kind of vibration at all at different speeds, sometimes tires/radio/open windows mask it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. jester

jester Registered Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 4'' lift, blocks in back leaf springs in front. I have 33'' tires. I listen to my radio alot and my tires are pretty loud so it is possible that there have been vibrations I have missed. I don't know what angle my drive shaft is at. Thanx for any help!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

From the looks of it that u joint most likely failed from lack of lubrication.

Greasable u joints must be fully greased after they are installed. This means driveshaft installed on the vehicle.

7. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

I had that problem when I broke the adapter between the tranny and transfercase, fixed that and fixed the u-joint problem