Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Breather Tubes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Dec 3, 2001.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Is it a guarentee that is water gets up to the differential breather lines that water got in the diffentials. Cause i was thinking that last week when i went wheeling water might have ogtten up that high and that i should probably check to see what damage i did in the 1 1/2 drive home if any at all.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Aren't those little plastic check valves one-way?

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

no they aren't one way because air has to get in and out. i'm gonna route ALL my breathers up to the top of the fire-wall.

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So does that mean that water would flow right in, wouldnt the turning gears produce heat that would push air out and provide enough presure to keep water out or would the differential cool off in the water and then suck water in?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if they are not clogged up then they are, but they tend to clog up a lot.
    get new ones and add a lot of line with a loop or 3 in the line. that helps or you can run it up through your body and twards the top of your rig.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

6. ricka

ricka Registered Member

If in doubt, pop the cover, drain the fluid and replace it. Not worth the consequences.
    I recommend you route all your breathers up into the engine compartment and/or
    the body. I routed my rear tranny and diff into the rear bed (right in front of the
    tailgate off to the side).

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

There shouldn't be any pressure unless your breather is clogged. The breather would just vent to the outside. If the differential was hot and hit cold water while the breather was under water the temp change could pull water inside. I'd have to agree with popping the cover and changing the fluid to be safe. One way to eliminate the doubt in the future would be to put a loop in the breather line then you could just check to see if there is any water in the line after a water crossing.

Smitty

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the diff breathers allow the diff to de/repressurize in sudden temp changes. so theoretically if the diff was warm when you hit the puddle then the water cooled it down i rapid fashion and caused the case to shrink pushing air out the tube, so if you were only in for a short amount of time you shoyd be okay, but after the pressure is equalized the water will just flow in as it pleases.

Tork DSR
    "look ma, i can make the dog pee white...."
    aol screen name TorkDSR
    http://www.torkpig.homestead.com

9. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

I've seen rigs where guys got some of that coiled plastic air line, and used it as breather tubes. With them up high, and all of the coils (loops) in them... I think it's a good idea. For yours, it wouldn't hurt to check and see. I'm sure the diff wouldn't mind a fresh bath anyway.

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy w/ '94 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew
    http://community.webshots.com/user/beefcake83

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Need to check it. the factory set up has those lines just tied up under the bed. For the rear Diff I Ran the line up behind the Tail light on our trucks.
    The Tranny and case are run up the fire wall and zip tied to the booster bracket. I used some $1.50 Fuel filters from like a 85 Carrola as ends to keep dust and crap from getting in. Before you use a fuel filter for a dust filter you need to blow and suck and make sure there is no check valve in the filter. The ones I used had one inlet on the side at the top and the other straight out the bottom, about 1.5 inches in diameter. I used the line on the side and let is pull air though the bottom. That way if any condisation forms it will drip out.
    The front diff should have it's line on the core suport on the drivers side. I just put a longer line on it and raised it as high as I could.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure if I got mine in that deep of water (it had to be close) but I crossed a swift stream numerous times that was above the lower edge of the doors, and I just popped my diff cover, and there was no water in it. Stock breather under the bed. Like I said, it was a swift stream, so water may not have even reached there, but it kind of surprised me, I figured it would have been full of water. I'd definitely check though if you are concerned with it.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

fram clear plastic G3 or G4 are perfect for this