Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bridgestone tire and service report

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BadDog, Aug 5, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

This is a good story that could have gone bad... People always report the bad, but this time I'll report on "good".

When I bought my '02 D/A brand new, with less than 100 miles on it, I took it to Simon's Tire in N AL to have a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T 285/75-16 Load Range D (but with 3300 lb rating, more than the stock E rated 245s) tires mounted. I wanted Michelin but they were not available in the height I needed. I've run Bridgestone street tires on heavy trucks before, and friends report good use from the Duelers, so that's what I got.

Fast forward. to Summer '04 4500 mile road trip that I just completed. The truck only sees "real miles" on "event trips" and a few cross country trips like this one (the second). Other than that, it's just up to the local trails with the truggy in tow.

So, I had 20k on the tires when the first separated badly in Albuquerque at 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning running 80+ on I40. No warning and it was on the front, oh joy. Changed it in a (luckily) near by "Travel Center" parking lot under the lights. Not wanting to head out with no spare for the 250 miles of open land to Oklahoma City, and then on to Little Rock 350 miles past that with only Fort Smith of any consequence in between, we stopped in Amarillo and waited for things to open. Finally found a WalMart SuperCenter and put a cheap "Liberator" (only thing in the right size). Nobody else that was open had that size in stock, and with Lockers, I don't want to run mixed tires.

Made it into N AL where the truck and tires were bought. Simon's Tire refused to honor the warranty due to a nail that was plugged around 10k. He claimed that Bridgestone was "anal" about the warranty on "patched" tires and routinely refused to reimburse him so, "Warranty denied", no prorate at all! Pissed me off, but what can I do with limited time and on "vacation". I told him to forget the $260 he offered to put on there and waited to get home to call Bridgestone Direct to see what they had to say.

On the way home, we hit the E. side of San Antonio and started looking for a room to split the trip in half. All booked up. <sigh> Roll on into the wee hours of the morning, all rooms down I10 were booked. Just about 5-6 a.m., one of the rear tires separated only 1.5k after the first, this is on the back and not nearly as bad as the first, you could just barely feel it. Argh!!!

To get to the end of the story, I eventually made it into Phoenix and called the nearest Bridgestone dealer (turned out to be Firestone which merged with Bridgestone) and told him my plight, and that I no longer trust these tires with 2 separating that close together on one trip. I carried it in to let him look at it. First off, he couldn't believe Simon's would not honor the warranty on the tire. According to him, Bridgestone is VERY easy on warranty, rarely giving any trouble to any reasonable claim. So, he agreed to prorate the whole set, no questions. After I agreed to the replacement and left, apparently he called Bridgestone and he wound up giving me the brand new set for only mounting and balancing charges because of the trouble on the trip and the "trouble with Simon's" who should have replaced the tire or at least pro-rated it.

Now how is that for service? Big thumbs up to Bridgestone/Firestone! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Wow, nice deal!

I think B/F is a LOT more sensitive to user feedback now, after the Exploder recall debacle. We'll probably never know for certain, but I'm willing to bet that Firestone was super-close to going under because of that recall. I'm still surprised they didn't...

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good to hear you got a complete new set. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I had 2 SSR's seperate on me out of the 4 and the best I could do was to get Interco to give me the second new replacement tire for free without a pro rate. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif They basically laughed at me when I asked for a complete set. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. BadDog

Oh, and I also bought the "road hazard" warranty. I usually don't get it, but after all he did for me, and knowing that the dealers get "points" and/or money for pushing them, I told him to add it after initially (when it was prorated) telling him no. Total bill for 4 new tires with road hazzard and remount + balance one of my new tires (bought on the road) as a spare was $160 out the door. Not bad... I also agreed to a "lifetime alignment" for the same reason, then found out my truck is too big for their alignment racks so that was a no go. Now I gotta find someone with a big rack that can handle my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

For once, things worked out ok... Maybe my SOL is wearing off? Nah... probably just setting me up for a fall. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Russ,

Did you say that you were running Locker in your D/A? I think that's how I was reading it?? If I was reading it correctly, did it come stock from the factory, or did you put them in after you got the truck?

The other thing I wanted to ask, is somewhere I thought I read that you got a Gooseneck Hitch installed, did you get a gooseneck trailer for the Truggy??

Rob

6. BadDog

Yes, the 2500HD came with a rear locker. G80 in 11.5" ring gear AM rear. Salesman claimed limited slip in the front too, but I think that's pure b.s. combined with d.a., not on the invoice, and no other papers confirm, but never confirmed one way or the other.

Yes, I got a gooseneck mounted on 5th wheel rails so I can run either. Rails are 30,000 lb rated. No goose neck yet, but I wanted it ready when/if I find a deal or it's needed for any other reason.