Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bridgestones or Pirellis?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EZdoesit, Nov 29, 2001.

1. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

I'm buying new tires 32x11.50x15 and I am trying to decide between these two brands, they are the same price so that isn't the issue, which tire is better for mostly street driving with occasional mild off-road use? Looking for a tire that will do very well in Ice and snow since I live in Minnesota but I put on 350 miles a week driving back and forth to work so it has to be good on the highway too.

I thought about BFG AT KO's but they are about $30 more per tire and these tires will only be temporary until I lift and go with 35's.

87 K5, all stock so far, except for some rust

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

DON'T get Bridgestones. They are just as bad as having Firestones. They are the same company. My Dad had a set on his F-350 that were almost brand new and two had massive blowouts. The tread didn't seperate totally but they blew real bad were the tread meets the sidewall. They both happened on the highway at 65-75 MPH. I would get Pirellis or Procomp has the buy 3 get the 4th free deal.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I got a great deal on 33" Pirelli Scorpion AS/AT tires at Sears last year. So far they've been great. Most of my driving is on the highway and I love them. They do pretty well off-road but the only tires I have to compare them to were the old uniroyals that were on the truck when I bought it. Don't know if you're looking at the same Pirellis but for the price they were offering them at I couldn't pass it up.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

4. EZdoesit

Yeah Johnny, I am looking at the Scorpion AT's, I've heard good things about them from just about anyone who has them. How is the treadwear?

5. johnny reb

Well I've only had them on for about 8,000 miles now and the treadwear has been excellent thus far.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

6. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

not sure if johny has the same pireli at tires as i do, but i got mine at sears last dec for my wife's 88 blazer. i know they discontinued them since then. the new ones i believe are the as/ at not as agressive looking an at tire as the ones i got.
    the 33" pireli at tires i put on the wife's truck have held up great. they have over 12K miles on them and still look like new. they handle the snow great. they even do ok in some lite 4 wheelin.
    now keep in mind the at tires i bought last year are discontinued, so unless you find some in stock somewhere you will not get the same tire.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

7. johnny reb

I got mine around that time last year too. Didn't know they were discontinued though. Maybe that's why they were so cheap. Despite the price, they are great tires IMHO.

8. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

you mentioned your tires as pireli as/at they are the new ones.
    mine are pireli scorpion at that is all it says on the side wall of the tire. these are the ones discontinued. and yes they were a great deal last dec, i think i paid about $70 a tire for 33's.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

9. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Not defending anyone..but...I ran a set of Bridgestone MT's and abused the crap out of them on the road..long distance at 70 + mph and off-roading for over 20,000 miles...they're still mounted with 70% tread left....it may have been a fluke as I haven't ran any other Bridgestone before. And I don't run them any more either, they're in the garage stored and a set of Pro-comps are on the Knight now[​IMG]

Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight

10. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I had some Pirellis on my K20 and loved them. Worked great in the sand where i play.... and were quiet on the highway. They were the Scropion AT's

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 3.73's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have the Perelli Norsmans on my 99 1 ton Dodge Duallie. (238-85R-16) and they are great!!!!!!!! I had the Perelli Scorpions and they lasted about 60,000 miles but suck on wet roads. The Norsmans are a much better tire than the Scorpions IMO. I pull a 30 foot fifth wheel and a 20 foot boat behind that with mine and the tires are fantastic. They are slighly noisier than the Scorpions were but not noticable with the windows up and Santana Jammin'

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

One thing to remember is that Bridgestone/Firestone is no longer a US Co. They are Jap owned and more importantly they are anti-access. They have given large sums of money to groups like Seria Club and worked to close down OHV trails. If your are intrested in going anywhere other than mall parking lots why would you want to give money to a company that is working to destroy our hobby.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. EZdoesit

hmm, I wasn't aware of the anti-access deal with bridgstone/firestone, I wonder why they would want to support that when they make money selling offroad tires?

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Because they want to look good in the greenies eyes to sell them tires and not be protested. Also there are still people in the OHV cominunity that don't know about that deal so they continue to buy their products. This why it is important to keep up with land use issues. Check out sharetrails.org &amp; united.org to learn more.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>