Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Briggs and Stratton Tech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Poohbair, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have a 14.5 horse OHV Briggs motor w/ a broke rod. Anyone know of a website w/ some good diagrams or tech for taking one of these apart (and putting it back together! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt a 10hp Briggs. Got the info from a local Briggs dealer. It took him a while to find it though. It seemed like Briggs had it setup so you had to just by a new motor.

-Chris

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Resident technician on hand here....what ya need help on (more detail than what you gave)?

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Resident technician on hand here....what ya need help on (more detail than what you gave)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a 14.5 OHV Briggs motor in a riding lawnmower. I took the head off and when I turn the flywheel, the piston doesn't move...so either a broke rod or a broken crank, right? Well, when I turn the flywheel, the shaft on the bottom (by the deck w/ the belt for the blades) turns, so I am assuming the crank is OK and the rod is broken. So, I need some diagrams or something to figure out how to take this thing apart far enough to put a new rod and bearing in it... or see if it is within a reasonable price to just take it to a shop and have the fix it.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, it'd be cheaper for you to take it apart and check out the cylinder wall. It's a broken rod, and if it didn't gouge the wall, consider yourself lucky. If it did gouge it, you'll be cheaper from the get-go to buy a new engine instead of pay for machine work.

(EASY WAY!) If you can, push the piston down using a wooden block or a rubber mallet. If it gets jammed, be sure the the rod isn't preventing it from going down further. If that isn't the problem, then it's likely a gouge preventing it from going down and should be junked, or you can order just the block itself and rebuild it. I'll be here to help you with that if that's the route you want to take, or any other route for that matter.

If you can't find anything by doing the above, a total tear down is required. You'll have to pull the flywheel, then however many bolts are holding to two case halves together. From there, remove the two nuts holding the rod bearing caps on and remove the bearing cap. Then knock the piston out, then pull the rod (or vice versa). If the cylinder is in good shape, order either new piston or rod (depending on which piece broke). I'm almost sure that you won't be able to salvage your engine unless you're REALLY lucky though. Either way, good luck on it. It's really very easy to work on. If you have any more questions, post up or PM me.